• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage Title Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vrk

What is the name of your state? California

My car totalled in a recent accident. I thought of buying the car back from insurance company. My question is : Will the insurance company give the salvage title when I buy back from them or we have to get the title from DMV. Also what is the procedure I need to follow with DMV to place the car on road. Please share your valuable information.

moburkes

vrk said:
What is the name of your state? California

My car totalled in a recent accident. I thought of buying the car back from insurance company. My question is : Will the insurance company give the salvage title when I buy back from them or we have to get the title from them . Also what is the procedure I need to follow with DMV to place the car on road. Please share your valuable information.
Be careful about this. You must disclose to your future insurance companies that your vehicle has a salvage title, and the majority of insurance companies will not insure this risk.

john2006PA

I am in the same situation as you.

if you have any solution, please drop a line to me at email: [email protected]

please see my post at:

Do I have right to keep my car and still get paid for fair market value of my car ?

thank you very much.

john2006PA

your advice is great.
May I copy your reply to my post "Do I have right to keep my car and still get paid for fair market value of my car ? " and other same posts ?

sorry, I cannot wait, I already copy it.

as following:

thanks for all advice and understand.

I use the key word "salvage" to search this forum, found a lot of same cases as mine.

I copy another post "Collect Insurance & Sue!?!" as following:

Well, in some states this is a no-brainer, but not the others. However, common sense should always apply. Here is my take on this:

1) adjusters always underestimate the damages (but agree to values determined at supplemental in body shop). So, if you choose to fix the car, they would pay all of the costs (except for issues below).

2) Any extra equipment may be considered personal property, and unless stolen or damaged would not be covered. Removal/re-installation in another car may be considered damage, and one way to handle it may be to file a property damage claim with that insurance, have it denied and go to small claims. Don't know if it would work, but at least this steals the argument on insurance side.

3) If the car is totalled, you are stuck with two options already explained before. But, in case you want to just get paid, it depends on insurance as far as what is the value they put on it. Two choices are Fair Market Value (higher) or Blue Book (typically lower, that's why you are more likely to get it). In both cases, optional equipment costs may or may not be added, but you need to figure out how to submit that claim specifically, not as part of regular process (as a separate part of policy is involved). This is just like the injury, does not happen automatically, lots of extra paperwork and proof of damages is involved. Now, if discrepancy is considerable, you can also try to sue in small claims, and add to that loss of use, damages to stereo, etc. If claim is higher than limit in small claims, then you can sue in regular court.

Just remember, you are not at fault, and any court would recognize this fact. Insurances do tend to lowball you in such situations, and you need to push back, and strong arm them. They don't want to be stuck in court with a loosing case. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">