• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At fault accident-couple of questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DoTheRightThing

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Yesterday, my aunt, her boyfriend, and his young granddaughter were involved in a 2-car accident (in the state of Ohio). The boyfriend ran a stop sign and hit another vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle was killed in the accident. My first question is: What can he be charged with, and what kind of punishments are associated with those charges?

It has also been discovered that no one in the boyfriends vehicle were wearing seatbelts, and the young child was sitting on my aunts lap at the time of the accident. Yes, I know, 40+ year old adults not using their heads at all (the child is 3 years old, and so very lucky to be alive and not seriously injured). What charges can be involved here? My mother thinks that only the driver can be charged for not putting his granddaughter in a car seat, but I think my aunt can also face charges.

I am so very thankful that my aunt, her boyfriend, and the child are going to be ok (aunt suffered some major injuries, but is expected to make a full recovery), and at the same time I am so angry with both of them for putting this innocent child in danger. And of course, my heart just aches for the family of the woman who lost her life.

I am just looking for possibilities, and my family wants to know what lies ahead. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

racer72

What can he be charged with, and what kind of punishments are associated with those charges?
Anything between a minor traffic violation to murder. It will all depend on the investigation that takes place. As far as punishment, anything from a fine up to and including, at a very far extreme, the death penalty. A common charge is vehicular manslaughter, the penalties are generally a few years in jail.

It has also been discovered that no one in the boyfriends vehicle were wearing seatbelts, and the young child was sitting on my aunts lap at the time of the accident. What charges can be involved here?
Again it all depends. Anything from failure to properly restrain a child in a motor vehicle up to and including felony child endangerment. It can sometimes take a few months or two before any charges are brought forth in these types of cases.

DoTheRightThing

Thank you for your response.

The only other question I have at this time is, can my aunt also be charged with failure to properly restrain a child in a motor vehicle or child endangerment, or does that charge rest with the driver of the vehicle?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">