• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cancellation of auto insurance-notifying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catgrr8

I live in Pennsylvania, and I have always had my account for my auto insurance set up to have the monthly payments automatically deducted from my checking account. Last spring, for some reason, they did not deduct a couple payments. I happened to be looking over my policy online the other day since I recently filed a claim and I noticed that the policy was cancelled 3 days earlier. I called them and they told me it was cancelled for nonpayment because of the payments they didn't deduct last spring. My question is, shouldn't I have been notified that my policy was being cancelled? I didn't receive an e-mail, letter, phone call or anything. If I didn't happen to go online to look over my policy, I wouldn't have known it was cancelled and I could have been pulled over in the meantime thinking I was insured and got into major trouble because I wasn't.

moburkes

catgrr8 said:
I live in Pennsylvania, and I have always had my account for my auto insurance set up to have the monthly payments automatically deducted from my checking account. Last spring, for some reason, they did not deduct a couple payments. I happened to be looking over my policy online the other day since I recently filed a claim and I noticed that the policy was cancelled 3 days earlier. I called them and they told me it was cancelled for nonpayment because of the payments they didn't deduct last spring. My question is, shouldn't I have been notified that my policy was being cancelled? I didn't receive an e-mail, letter, phone call or anything. If I didn't happen to go online to look over my policy, I wouldn't have known it was cancelled and I could have been pulled over in the meantime thinking I was insured and got into major trouble because I wasn't.
You are responsible for paying your insurance bill (obviously). The insurance company is only responsible for 1 thing: sending the cancellation notice with record of mailing, which is simply proof that they mailed it (first class) to the last known address. If they have done that, then the cancellation stands.

Betty

It was your responsibility to verify each month that the car ins. premium was deducted from your checking account.

catgrr8

I understand I was responsible for the payments. I've already taken care of it and my insurance is active again. My question is, isn't the insurance company required to notify someone before or when they cancel a policy? Because I was not notified at all.

moburkes

catgrr8 said:
I understand I was responsible for the payments. I've already taken care of it and my insurance is active again. My question is, isn't the insurance company required to notify someone before or when they cancel a policy? Because I was not notified at all.
And like I said before, your insurance company mailed the notice. Call and ask for a copy of it. You probably didn't open it, thinking that it was nothing. It happens all the time.

abaga

catgrr8 said:
Yes they are required to notify you by US Mail, however, did you not notice the the payments were not being deducted from your checking account? Mine is deducted on the 19th of each month, and on the 20th of last month I didn't see it coming out. I immediately called the Insurance Company and asked what the problem was. They had a delay in posting payments, but I was still covered. I know it is my responsibility to make sure the payment is deducted on the date agreed upon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">