• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto hit and run accident with suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afewgirls

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hi, I am looking to see what will happen to a friend of mine who just had an accident.
Here's what happened:
He was driving his car and wrapped it around a pole. Completely totaled the car. He was the only one in it and he didn't get hurt. But instead of sticking around and waiting, he went home and called the police the next day. On top of fleeing, he has a suspended drivers license. This all happened in California.
They told him he could be charged with a hit and run misdimeanor. If so, what does that mean? Will he have to go to jail? Or will he just have to pay fines?
And with the suspended license, will the take his license away?
He's young and scared, and I'm trying to find out as much as possible that I can for him.
Please help with any information you can!:eek:

BRN2005

Hit and Run

First of all, he should be scared.
There is no way, from the information you have given, to say what will happen.
Some of the factors that will determine what will happen include:
Why was his license under suspension? Was it due to an alcohol related offense? Why did he leave the scene? Was he under the influence? Were there any witnesses who could surface either in his defense or against him? What is his prior record? How old is he? Was he eligible to have gotten his license reinstated prior to the incident? It sounds like there are several things he could be charged with, depending on the circumstances.

afewgirls

Hi, thanks for your response. I know he should be scared. I'm scared for him.
But lets see, to start I think his license was suspended because of speeding tickets.
And he was able to get it reinstated, he just didn't get it done yet. He said that day he was actually working on it, but who knows! You would think he would have gotten something like that taken care of right away.
Oh and he's 22 years old. He said he wasn't drinking, and non of his tickets are drinking related.
Do you know what the charges are for a hit and run misdemeanor? And if they will take his license?
I really appreciate your comments and help. Thank you!

moburkes

afewgirls said:
Hi, thanks for your response. I know he should be scared. I'm scared for him.
But lets see, to start I think his license was suspended because of speeding tickets.
And he was able to get it reinstated, he just didn't get it done yet. He said that day he was actually working on it, but who knows! You would think he would have gotten something like that taken care of right away.
Oh and he's 22 years old. He said he wasn't drinking, and non of his tickets are drinking related.
Do you know what the charges are for a hit and run misdemeanor? And if they will take his license?
I really appreciate your comments and help. Thank you!
His license will be suspended for a longer time period (meaning they will extend the suspension).

BRN2005

Hit and Run

If he was eligible to have his license reinstated, he should still be eligible, at this point in time (as he has not yet been convicted on the new incident). Many of my clients have been advised by attorneys to get their license reinstated (and insurance, too, if he did not have that) before he goes to court. Driving under suspension is a much lesser charge, if the original suspension was not due to an alcohol offense. If he is convicted, he will probably lose his license for a longer period of time, but I think that there is a small chance that he can have his charges plea bargained down, or probation, and may not be so serious as it originally sounds. I'd get an attorney. He probably will not be hanged just yet.
Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">