• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

at fault driver never called his insurance co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kennyshakes

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I was in an accident 1 month ago. The other driver ran a stop sign totalling my vehicle and almost killing me. Not only did the other driver not notify their insurance company, but they have filed a claim against my insurance. The driver was given a ticket for running the stop sign, and the police report claims all responsibility for the accident on the other driver. Isn't it the law in Pennsylvania to notify your insurance company when involved in an accident? Thanks for any responses.

BRN2005

unreported accident

Not to worry. The insurance companies will take over and determine fault and payment requirements. The will get copies of the police reports and probably statements from everyone involved (including any witnesses you may have). The other driver having failed to report the accident does not take away any of your rights or his/her responsibilities.

moburkes

kennyshakes said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I was in an accident 1 month ago. The other driver ran a stop sign totalling my vehicle and almost killing me. Not only did the other driver not notify their insurance company, but they have filed a claim against my insurance. The driver was given a ticket for running the stop sign, and the police report claims all responsibility for the accident on the other driver. Isn't it the law in Pennsylvania to notify your insurance company when involved in an accident? Thanks for any responses.
And, no, its not against the law.

kennyshakes

Thanks for the reply. My insurance has been great to me. I just find it very irritating that someone could file a claim against my insurance without notifying their own carrier. Their were witness reports taken by the officers at the seen and all fault is with the other driver. What do they expect to gain from my insurance? Any damage to their vehicle and medical bills would be taken care of by their insurance. Right? They are at fault here. Isn't it a law to notify your insurance carrier when involved in an accident in Pennsylvania?

ecmst12

It's not the law, as far as I know, but it may be the rules of his policy. But, that has nothing to do with you.

racer72

kennyshakes said:
In Oregon your insurance company must be notified within 72 hrs.
Why are you wasting good server space giving totally useless information that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's question? If you can't add to the thread in a constructive manner, do not post.

Betty

racer72 said:
Why are you wasting good server space giving totally useless information that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's question? If you can't add to the thread in a constructive manner, do not post.
kennyshakes is the OP.

moburkes

Betty said:
kennyshakes is the OP.
Racer made a mistake, BUT OP is wrong. In OR, in an accident with over $1500 of damages to any vehicle, they are required to file an OR Accident and Insurance Report within 72 hours, but they are NOT required to notify their insurance company.

OP: Sometimes people pay for the damages from an accident out of their own pcokets, without involving the insurance company. This way, they can keep the premiums down. In your situation, maybe, just maybe, the other person thought that by contacting YOUR company before you did, that they were somehow NOT going to be found at fault. It probably won't work in their favor, but maybe they thought it would. But, there is still no law to notify your insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">