• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unlicensed contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bosslady

What is the name of your state? Nevada
I came into contact with an acquaintance who was renovating a neighbors house and was asked if I wanted to work. This acquaintance is not licensed by any means, but agreed to work. After 9 straight days and nights, those of us involved confronted this guy for the last time about not getting paid. Come to find out he had been paid in full by the homeowner the monies that were designated for us laborers. The homeowner states he was unaware of this. Do I have the right to go after the homeowner, who has the means to resolve this matter more so than this acquaintance, and put a mechanics lien on this property (on the market for sale)? The acquaintance does not own any property, vehicles or have any cash on hand or in an account.

On top of working, I also came out of pocket to purchase daily drinks, ice and food with the promise of reimbursement. My receipts were turned in to the acquaintance, who claims to have lost them!! :mad:

Any help is greatly appreciated. This financial setback caused me to move in with family members and incur MANY financial hardships.

S

shell007

bosslady said:
I came into contact with an acquaintance who was renovating a neighbors house and was asked if I wanted to work. This acquaintance is not licensed by any means, but agreed to work. After 9 straight days and nights, those of us involved confronted this guy for the last time about not getting paid. Come to find out he had been paid in full by the homeowner the monies that were designated for us laborers. The homeowner states he was unaware of this. Do I have the right to go after the homeowner, who has the means to resolve this matter more so than this acquaintance, and put a mechanics lien on this property (on the market for sale)? The acquaintance does not own any property, vehicles or have any cash on hand or in an account.

On top of working, I also came out of pocket to purchase daily drinks, ice and food with the promise of reimbursement. My receipts were turned in to the acquaintance, who claims to have lost them!! :mad:

Any help is greatly appreciated. This financial setback caused me to move in with family members and incur MANY financial hardships.
I would say you would have to go after the "acquaintance" NOT the homeowner. It seems as though the homeowner would have had a contract with the "acquaintance" NOT YOU.

How did not getting paid cause a financial setback? You should not be in any more of a financial hardship than you were PRIOR to doing this work.

Simply put: If you had $5.00 in your pocket prior to doing this work, and then you didn't get paid,...you should still have $5.00 in your pocket (minus the snacks you bought).

Although you didn't come out ahead....you certainly did not come out behind.

bosslady

oops

I'm sorry...In my first post I failed to mention that the food and drinks were for all of us working on the house, not just myself. The financial hardship was caused due to working and not being paid for it. Example: If you work 80+ hours, you anticipate a certain amount of payment. Therefore, if you start with $150.00, spend that not just on yourself, but on the team, with the promise of being reimbursed---- you still end up with a negative!

fairisfair

I would assume, that since you were working for a non licensed contractor, you were working under the table as well. Good luck with any recourse on that one!! You have just learned a valuable lesson about cheating the government out of taxes!

S

shell007

bosslady said:
I'm sorry...In my first post I failed to mention that the food and drinks were for all of us working on the house, not just myself. The financial hardship was caused due to working and not being paid for it. Example: If you work 80+ hours, you anticipate a certain amount of payment. Therefore, if you start with $150.00, spend that not just on yourself, but on the team, with the promise of being reimbursed---- you still end up with a negative!
Next time, buy lunch for yourself and NO ONE ELSE. If you don't have the $$$ to spare....don't offer.

As for ANTICIPATING a paycheck... NEVER COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH. ;)

divgradcurl

bosslady said:

You don't have a right to put a mechanic's lien on the house -- you are not a subcontractor, you are an employee of the primary contractor, and so your sole remedy is with your employer.

In any event, unlicensed contractors aren't allowed to file mechanic's liens anyway.

If you were a legal employee (getting taxes taken out, etc.), then you could file a complaint with the Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">