• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident and License suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rstreng

What is the name of your state? TX

I was in a multi car collision on 1/2/05 in which I was listed at fault even though I do not believe I was. Nevertheless, I was also an uninsured driver at the time and the insurance company of one of the other drivers is persuing me for payment ($16,000). They even went as far as writing to the State and having my licenses suspended. The insurance company (State Farm) has not filed a lawsuit yet but they have called me several times trying to get me to start payments.

Couple of questions:

1. Will a large insurance company like State Farm typically come after someone like me (22yrs old w/no money)?

2. Is there anyway for me to get my license back without settling with State Farm?

Thanks!

John in Texas

seniorjudge

rstreng said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I was in a multi car collision on 1/2/05 in which I was listed at fault even though I do not believe I was. Nevertheless, I was also an uninsured driver at the time and the insurance company of one of the other drivers is persuing me for payment ($16,000). They even went as far as writing to the State and having my licenses suspended. The insurance company (State Farm) has not filed a lawsuit yet but they have called me several times trying to get me to start payments.

Couple of questions:

1. Will a large insurance company like State Farm typically come after someone like me (22yrs old w/no money)?

2. Is there anyway for me to get my license back without settling with State Farm?

Thanks!

John in Texas

A: Yes.

A: No.

S

shell007

A: Yes. The insurance co. nor the person(s) you hit cares how old you are. You were in the wrong by:

a. Causing the accident.
b. Not having insurance.

If you can't pay...I would be willing to bet that YOU WILL BE SUED.

As for your driver's license...stand by!

weenor

Most states have laws that allow the suspension of a driver's license for failure to pay and/or have insurance when that person causes an accident. State Farm has already gotten your license suspended, so the only way to get that "undone" is to pay what they ask or get them to settle for a reduced amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">