• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guarantee on boat purchased failure to live up to.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Likethissite

What is the name of your state?
CA

Just purchased a boat on Saturday, made sure to bring a friend to protection. Repeatedly on the phone, emphasized not looking for a project boat, plently available for cheap, want a completely working and good condition boat.

Face to face, with my friend, who I brought because the transaction was $3,000.... I again said, "So you guarantee the boat runs without issues, and needs nothing fixed." The guy guarnteed it.

He seem really nice, and in hindsight spent and inordinant amount of time empahsizing the importance of these red things one places on the outboard in case of hydraulic failure.

Go to the lake, drop it in the water.....it doens't start. I go park the truck, and eventually the boat started. We drove around the launching area, because we were creeped out about the boat - you know "guaranteed problem free" - and it wouldn't start...
Anyway, while coasting a 5mph, I realized we'd forgot the spare gas tank at the dock.

We go to retrieve it, and the boat doesn't start.
We sit forever, embarrassed of course, but happy this didn't happen in the middle of the lake.

We call it quits, and go to retreive the boat. I pull the trim up, which makes so the prop is above ground level.

Start to pull the boat out, and the spotter immediatley notices the prop is NOT up.
We are dumbfounded, they just saw and heard me utilize the trim.
This time I have people watch, and the prop/outboard does NOT move It stays down.
The trim adjust utlizes hydraulics.....remember the guys overemphasizing the importance of the red things in case of hydraulic failure???? Here's why...he obviously knew something was wrong.

We had to pull the prop up against hyrdralic pressure by hand to put the red things in place.

This guy guaranteed this boat runs, and pulls skiers without problem. This is 2 days after I bought it, did'nt go on Sunday, bought it Saturday.

I was so hyped up over this "cool guy" being so upfront, that I did not get anything in writing....oUCh. However, he was alone, and my friend was there as witness to the entire transaction.

Am I screwed? Thanks

Odie

Did you not try it out first?

I have a simular issue, so trying it out may not always mean it works fine!

If its not in writing, your out!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">