• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling second home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Harold Reinert

I am changing jobs and relocating to another state. The house that we bought here three months ago we need to sell. Would it be better to use it as a rental property before we sell it. There will be no gain and I will lose money because of the realtors comission.

L

loku

Loss on sale of residence

The problem, as I see it, is that you cannot deduct a loss from the sale of your personal residence, so the question is whether you can convert the home to rental property, then sell it at a loss and deduct the loss.

The rule is that a residence is converted from personal use if it is rented or otherwise appropriated to income-producing purposes and is used for those purposes up to the time of its sale. Temporary rental of a residence before sale does not necessarily convert its use to business use.

The determination of whether a residence has been converted to business or income-production use depends upon the facts of the case and how they show the intent of the owners. For example, residences were effectively converted to income-producing use when: rented for 19 years before sale; and when the property was originally acquired with the intent to sell it.

There is no conversion to rental property when rental is only an interim measure until a sale is complete.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">