• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't transfer title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kennyz7

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, I recently bought a car on Craigslist and paid cash, but made sure to copy his driver's license info and have him sign a paper saying he sold me the car and for what price. He assured me that the title was good even though it was not under his name. Told me he just got it from an auction and didn't need the car anymore, that's why he was selling it. This guy is not a dealer, he said he got this car through an auction. And that there would be no problems transfering the title, probably cost me about 100 dollars when I go to the DMV. Went to the DMV, they made me go to the original dealer to have them sign the title, because they forgot to. Paid the DMV reg. fees, over 200 dollars. Now the DMV is requesting proof that I paid sales/use tax when I didn't even purchase this from the Dealer. What should I do, he is not answering my phone. Trying to transfer this title is costing me so much time and money. Can I take him to small claims court to pay for DMV fees and sales tax. Or am I able to return this car back to him. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kenny

garrula lingua

Kerry, anytime you buy a car, you will owe sales tax through DMV.
This is true for dealers or private sales.
It sounds like DMV is looking for the price, in order to calc the taxes.
The bill of sales/contract you signed with the seller states the sale price.

Unfortunately, when you purchase without the title, you lay yourself open for some stress in obtaining title from DMV.
The taxes, though, are due on all sales, regardless of your experiences with the title.
You can't recover that cost from the seller (for the taxes) - every buyer owes that, separately through DMV.

kennyz7

Didn't buy from Dealer?

Thanks for the advice, but I didn't buy this from the Dealer, got it from this guy named Nerani. He didn't even have receipts for the car or what he paid for it. I don't want to pay sales tax with understanding that I already paid full price for this and was expecting to pay anymore. Just really frustrated. I'm going to try to keep calling him about this tomorrow and see what happened. Thanks

garrula lingua

No. You owe the sales tax based on the sale price when you bought from Nerani.

Whatever you paid him is the amount that DMV will use to calc the sales tax.

2901bruce

Never buy a car without the title (pink slip). Even if he had the registration, the title says a lot. What would have happened if you bought the car for say 20k, filed for the lost title, and it came back stamped "SALVAGED" ? If so, you probably just got scammed. Also, the other member is correct. Use Tax (sales tax) is mandatory for used vehicles purchased from private parties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">