• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Property????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Raspberry1047

I live in California. Brief History:
Married almost 22 years, physically separated 2 1/2 years ago, he lives on property worth $100,000 that he purchased
18 years ago, we were separated at that time also even though I had the kids, 4 of mine, 2 of ours. We kept separate homes for 4 or 5 years. Then 13 or 14 years ago I moved back with 3 of the kids. Lived there up until 2 1/2 years ago. He is adament that the property is solely his, even though I contributed to the income the whole time I lived there. All household furnishings were purchased by me.
This is the stickler, he purchased this place from an old friend of his, and even though the place is pretty much paid for he has never paid all the escrow fees to get the property in his name, he has paid all the propery taxes also. What will happen if we divorce? Is the property still half mine? Our separations were never legalized. Also in case of his death do I get his life insurance policies? I know I would probably get his retirement funds. This man will not even talk to me, I have no hard feelings against him but he was a mean, abusive husband and I am a little intimidated and afraid of him. Please let me know where I stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">