• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA how to proceed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bomo

Georgia
My husband and I discussed divorce, we agreed to use collaborative attorneys. He is stalling, he doesn't want a divorce. What can I do to move this along? i asked him to call the attorneys and he says he will but he doesn't. Can I just find one for myself and have this attorney call my husband?

JETX

Bomo said:
Georgia
My husband and I discussed divorce, we agreed to use collaborative attorneys. He is stalling, he doesn't want a divorce. What can I do to move this along? i asked him to call the attorneys and he says he will but he doesn't. Can I just find one for myself and have this attorney call my husband?
Yep. Go out and get your own attorney.

LdiJ

JETX said:
Yep. Go out and get your own attorney.
I agree 200%. It almost never ends with good results if parties share attorneys.

Remember, the attorney works ONLY for the person who hired them....its an ethical issue.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LdiJ said:
I agree 200%. It almost never ends with good results if parties share attorneys.

Remember, the attorney works ONLY for the person who hired them....its an ethical issue.
That statement is not correct. The attorney works only for the client who may or may not be the person who hired them. If parents hire an attorney to represent their daughter, the attorney works only for the daughter not the parents.

LdiJ

Ohiogal said:
That statement is not correct. The attorney works only for the client who may or may not be the person who hired them. If parents hire an attorney to represent their daughter, the attorney works only for the daughter not the parents.
I worded my statement poorly, sorry. What I was trying to explain is that if they share an attorney, only one of them is the "client" and is represented by the attorney. That would be the party who hired them, or the party for whom a third party paid the fee.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LdiJ said:
I worded my statement poorly, sorry. What I was trying to explain is that if they share an attorney, only one of them is the "client" and is represented by the attorney. That would be the party who hired them, or the party for whom a third party paid the fee.
Now that is correct :) Sorry. I just wanted to make sure because hiring -- paying is what some people equate with it -- an attorney does not make you the attorney's client.

JETX

Ohiogal said:
Sorry, but NOT true.

If the 'client' is a minor, then the attorney works for the parents or legal guardian of that minor child. And if the 'child' is an adult, then the parents aren't paying.... payment is accepted on behalf of the adult 'child'.
But then, of course, NONE of that (or your post) is relevant to the subject of this thread. :D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
JETX said:
Sorry, but NOT true.

If the 'client' is a minor, then the attorney works for the parents or legal guardian of that minor child. And if the 'child' is an adult, then the parents aren't paying.... payment is accepted on behalf of the adult 'child'.
But then, of course, NONE of that (or your post) is relevant to the subject of this thread. :D
I disagree. The attorney always works for the clients regardless of who is paying.

JETX

Ohiogal said:
I disagree. The attorney always works for the clients regardless of who is paying.
Sorry, but your 'belief' is NOT correct.
If you got a ticket and your boyfriend paid the attorney, would your boyfriend be the attorneys client??
Of course not.

Bali Hai

JETX said:
If you got a ticket and your boyfriend paid the attorney, would your boyfriend be the attorneys client??
Of course not.
Oh my word this is so confusing.

My ex-wife hired her own attorney and I hired my own attorney in our divorce case. I paid for both attorneys and discovered she was the client for both!!:confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
JETX said:
Of course not.
No the boyfriend would not be the client. I would and the attorney would be working for me. According to the Professional Rules of Responsibility it doesn't matter who pays for the attorney. The attorney WORKS FOR THE CLIENT! Why are you arguing with me when I agree with you that it doesn't matter who pays. It matters who the client is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">