• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

all823

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My husband cheated on me back in July 2005. I left and have not been back since with the exception of 2 weeks in August 2005. What are the grounds I could lose custody of my child or have to share custody? We have agreed to alternate weekends and work out holidays. The divorce papers have been drawn up by my attorney, but I have not been able to finance it. I want to start a relationship with someone - should I or shouldn't I.

ceara19

all823 said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

My husband cheated on me back in July 2005. I left and have not been back since with the exception of 2 weeks in August 2005. What are the grounds I could lose custody of my child or have to share custody? We have agreed to alternate weekends and work out holidays. The divorce papers have been drawn up by my attorney, but I have not been able to finance it. I want to start a relationship with someone - should I or shouldn't I.
It's always better to avoid getting involved in a new relationship until after the ink dries on the divorce, even if the other party doesn't. Don't leave anything open where custody and visitation are concerned to be "worked out" at a later time. If you can come to a detailed agreement before going into court, great. Just make sure it spells everything out very clearly.

all823

What can constitute me as an unfit mother? If I get involved with someone, will this constitute me as an unfit Mother? I know it is best to hold off on a relationship now. I will do that, but I don't want anything to ruin my chances of keeping my child.

ceara19

all823 said:
What can constitute me as an unfit mother? If I get involved with someone, will this constitute me as an unfit Mother? I know it is best to hold off on a relationship now. I will do that, but I don't want anything to ruin my chances of keeping my child.
Dating before the divorce is final doesn't make a parent UNFIT to raise a child. WHO you date could (violent criminals, child molesters, drug dealers are all bad choices for a companion). There are many, many reasons that a parent could be deemed unfit. It would be easier if you would tell us what your specific concerns are.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Are you concerned about losing custody completely (him becoming sole custodian) or concerned about your STBX having any custody -- joint physical and legal custodian?

ceara19

Ohiogal said:
Are you concerned about losing custody completely (him becoming sole custodian) or concerned about your STBX having any custody -- joint physical and legal custodian?
I have a feeling that she is doing something that she KNOWS she shouldn't and wants to know if she can keep doing it without losing custody.

tigger22472

ceara19 said:
I have a feeling that she is doing something that she KNOWS she shouldn't and wants to know if she can keep doing it without losing custody.
I get the feeling the OP may have left the child with dad when she left dad....

all823

Concern

I have recently started dating someone and that is my concern. He is no criminal and my child is not in any danger. That is the only thing I am doing to cause concern. If I need to stop seeing him until things are finalized I will.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
all823 said:
I have recently started dating someone and that is my concern. He is no criminal and my child is not in any danger. That is the only thing I am doing to cause concern. If I need to stop seeing him until things are finalized I will.
You haven't answered my question. Dad will have some custody. You may be primary. he may not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">