• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

B.S. Speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cifdtruckie

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I moved from New York to Wisconsin a few months ago, and have not had the chance to register my car in WI yet, so I still have NY plates. Earlier today, I was driving down I-94, doing maybe 60 in a 55 mph zone. I saw an officer on the shoulder, and immediately slowed to 55. Cars were speeding past me on both sides. The officer pulled me over, and told me he had me doing 75 in a 55. He showed me the radar gun, which said that I was dong 75.0. Not 75.1 or 74.9, but 75.0.
According to the ticket, he got me with the radar gun from 1057 feet away. I don't even do 75 in 65 mph zones, much less in 55 mph zones. I also noticed that many other cars with out-of-state plates were being pulled over.
So now I am faced with a $214 fine, which I cannot afford, and 6 points, which I cannot afford. This ticket is total B.S.!!!! The way I see it is, the cops were jumpy because it is the 4th of July, and were looking for DWI drivers. I guess the cop figured that since I have out of state plates, I probably wouldn't be around for my court date next month, and I would just pay the fine. I have never gotten a ticket before.
What are my chances of having the ticket dropped, and what is my best course of action?

cifdtruckie said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I moved from New York to Wisconsin a few months ago, and have not had the chance to register my car in WI yet, so I still have NY plates. Earlier today, I was driving down I-94, doing maybe 60 in a 55 mph zone. I saw an officer on the shoulder, and immediately slowed to 55. Cars were speeding past me on both sides. The officer pulled me over, and told me he had me doing 75 in a 55. He showed me the radar gun, which said that I was dong 75.0. Not 75.1 or 74.9, but 75.0.
According to the ticket, he got me with the radar gun from 1057 feet away. I don't even do 75 in 65 mph zones, much less in 55 mph zones. I also noticed that many other cars with out-of-state plates were being pulled over.
So now I am faced with a $214 fine, which I cannot afford, and 6 points, which I cannot afford. This ticket is total B.S.!!!! The way I see it is, the cops were jumpy because it is the 4th of July, and were looking for DWI drivers. I guess the cop figured that since I have out of state plates, I probably wouldn't be around for my court date next month, and I would just pay the fine. I have never gotten a ticket before.
What are my chances of having the ticket dropped, and what is my best course of action?
Best course of action is to consult with a local attorney who is familiar with local proceedures and the judges in those parts. Without one, it is your word against a local cop's, and the prevailing belief is that defendants are not seeking justice but are trying to get out of paying and points. A lawyer often can work some kind of a deal....lowered assessment of speed, defensive driving course or dropped. Do-it-yourself is the most uncertain course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">