• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in a state of divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandpoint

What is the name of your state? At the moment I live outside the USA.

I am not quite familiar with US devorce law and I presume it depends on each state law within the US. Maybe though someone here can help find an answer to my question before I spend money on a lawyer or expensive phone calls to Idaho.

In 1997 my wife and I, we are both german citizens, got married in Idaho. With our marriage licence we headed towards Boise to get an Apostille from the Governments office.
Back from our honeymoon we registered as a married couple in Germany, no harm done.

Now we both are planning a divorce ( German law says: Divorce only after one year of separation) According government law we are getting divorced by German Law within a few month.

I would like to know what procedure is necessary to have the divorce legalized and confirmed by US Law (or supposeably in Idaho.) ?

Can anyone help ?
Grüße aus Deutschland
PeterWhat is the name of your state?

LdiJ

Sandpoint said:
What is the name of your state? At the moment I live outside the USA.

I am not quite familiar with US devorce law and I presume it depends on each state law within the US. Maybe though someone here can help find an answer to my question before I spend money on a lawyer or expensive phone calls to Idaho.

In 1997 my wife and I, we are both german citizens, got married in Idaho. With our marriage licence we headed towards Boise to get an Apostille from the Governments office.
Back from our honeymoon we registered as a married couple in Germany, no harm done.

Now we both are planning a divorce ( German law says: Divorce only after one year of separation) According government law we are getting divorced by German Law within a few month.

I would like to know what procedure is necessary to have the divorce legalized and confirmed by US Law (or supposeably in Idaho.) ?

Can anyone help ?
Grüße aus Deutschland
PeterWhat is the name of your state?
If the divorce is legal under German law, then it would be automatically recognized by any state in the US. There is no further action that need be taken.

Sandpoint

LdiJ said:
If the divorce is legal under German law, then it would be automatically recognized by any state in the US. There is no further action that need be taken.
Good Morning !

Well, no doubt about that. To the US though I am still registered as "married to" since I married in Idaho.
What requirements must I fulfill so that my divorce is registered in US files. So that travelling to the US with my new partner won´t cause a problem. You ask me "where´s the problem ?"
I tell you: you never know...life´s a beach and then you get a sunburn!

Thanks in advance
Peter

LdiJ

Sandpoint said:
Good Morning !

Well, no doubt about that. To the US though I am still registered as "married to" since I married in Idaho.
What requirements must I fulfill so that my divorce is registered in US files. So that travelling to the US with my new partner won´t cause a problem. You ask me "where´s the problem ?"
I tell you: you never know...life´s a beach and then you get a sunburn!

Thanks in advance
Peter
Just keep a copy of your divorce paperwork with you. That is all that you need. You don't have to "register" the divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">