• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills, auto accidents, greedy ex wife.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbeeman

What is the name of your state? Illinois. My husband is responsible for all medical bills (insurance and out of pocket) on his children. Over a year ago (6-21-05) his oldest was involved in an auto accident (his girlfriend was driving and she was found at fault). The ex saw dollar signs and claimed financial responsibility to all the medical providers from that day to gain access to any money the girls insurance company may be ordered to pay in a lawsuit. She told my husband more than once not to worry about it, she was taking care of it and that she was going to "put the bills on a credit card and would pay it off when ben gets his settlement money". That was a year ago, and it was the last we heard of any bills from it. Come to find out (on 7-2-06 per a snotty message on our answering maching) She has paid nothing, the girls insurance company has only paid 1750 of 3050 in bills. and for over a year now, the bills have been rolling in to the ex and she's been putting them in a folder and ignoring them!) I know we'll end up paying them because its in the divorce decree that he's responsible, but she's got all these bills put in her name,
( have never even SEEN one)shoved in a folder and wants to give us 800 numbers to collection agencies to pay off these bills. She's as greedy as they get and my guess is she wants us to pay the bills and her collect reimbursement for them. I'm the one who handles our business (mine and my husbands) and finances. WHAT DO I DO??? I have never received a bill, she represented herself as the financially responsible party and I'm not comfortable paying bills I've never seen that are now over a year old and not coming to us. Not to mention the fact that she wont tell us who the auto insurance company is, how to contact the agent, we have no papers from the accident or insurance information to file suit for reimbursement. HELP! What do I need to do about this mess?? The ONLY paper we've ever gotten is from our medical insurance company that they wont pay it. The ONLY reason we know that 1750 was paid by the girls auto insurance is because it's on that paper. Tell me how I should handle this? PLEASE!

LdiJ

You should really consult with a local attorney. However, I suspect that you will be advised not to pay anything until mom provides clear documentation that no more funds will be forthcoming from the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">