• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nonmoving violations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helplessin wi

What is the name of your state? WI

What happens if you receive a ticket in another state (IN) and I live in Wisconsin? The officer said I did not slow down enough when he had someone stopped on the side of the road (which was NOT true).

I have contested the ticket, and they said that I must appear in person (8 hours away), but I do not want this on my driving record because it is NOT true.

What happens if you don't pay the ticket from another state? Do you have to show up in person to contest it?

Thanks.

The Occultist

helplessin wi said:
The officer said I did not slow down enough when he had someone stopped on the side of the road (which was NOT true).
This something based purely on perspective, and from the cop's perspective, you did not slow down enough, and that is all that matters. End of story.

helplessin wi

So, what is slow enough? Where in the law does it specifically state how much you need to slow down? The speed limit was 55, and when I passed the officer I was going 45. I DID slow down, plus he was not even in his car to document the speed I was going ...

Isn't this relative?

The Occultist

It is completely relative and based completely on the judgement of the officer who witnessed it. There is no specifically stated limit, just like there is no specifically stated limit when the law says the speed limit is dropped during poor driving conditions. It is relative, and it is up to the officer. You're SoL.

sukharev

Anyhow, go and try to get it dismissed or changed to a non-moving violation. befor you do so, check with Wisconsin DMV how out-of-state violations are treated. Some states don't transfer minor ones, and you can often get a clear answer which ones.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">