• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chromed

What is the name of your state? Texas
I need legal advice desperately. I've been married 26 years next month. We moved here to west Tx. last Sept., My husband left me on May 18,06. He has taken all the money out of the bank, except for the 100.00 he put today, but after overdrawn fees...I have a total of 53.00. I do not work, and haven't worked in probably 4 years. My concern is I was just told by a friend who was divorced in Tx. that if he files first he does not have to pay me support. I don't know if he has filed...he want tell me Anything, I don't even know where he lives. I need an answer A.S.A.P. please

ceara19

Chromed said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I need legal advice desperately. I've been married 26 years next month. We moved here to west Tx. last Sept., My husband left me on May 18,06. He has taken all the money out of the bank, except for the 100.00 he put today, but after overdrawn fees...I have a total of 53.00. I do not work, and haven't worked in probably 4 years. My concern is I was just told by a friend who was divorced in Tx. that if he files first he does not have to pay me support. I don't know if he has filed...he want tell me Anything, I don't even know where he lives. I need an answer A.S.A.P. please
Your friend is wrong. Who files first has nothing to do with being able to get spousal support. If he files, you will find out shortly after. You can call the District Clerk for your county (or possibly check their website) and ask if you have been named in a Suit for Dissolution of Marriage.

Here is the website for West Texas Legal Aid.
http://www.lanwt.org/yb/message.asp
You can apply for legal services and find assistance if you decide to file pro se.

garrula lingua

What state did you live in, prior to Texas ?
How long ago did you move to Tx ?

... it might be better for you to move back to your other state and file on him there. You would still have to locate him to serve him ...

Texas is not a great state for spousal support, even when you're married 26 yrs.

ceara19

garrula lingua said:
What state did you live in, prior to Texas ?
How long ago did you move to Tx ?

... it might be better for you to move back to your other state and file on him there. You would still have to locate him to serve him ...

Texas is not a great state for spousal support, even when you're married 26 yrs.
Chromed said:
We moved here to west Tx. last Sept.
;) **************

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">