• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACLa

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi,

I recently got divorced and it is a DV case.

I did not get any financial help because one I left my husband I started working and I wa married for less than a year.

My lawyer asks me for money even for the phone calls and the photocopies and actually I have done all the papes by myself and she just checks them...

How much and how long is a divorce?

This one seems to be very simple. We settled in court and I got the grounds and he did not respond. I have paid more that 2500 and they are asking me for a 1000 more... is that fair?

Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Did you read your engagement letter/retainer agreement whatever the attorney you are using called it? How much was the hourly rate? How many hours have they put in? 3500 for a divorce is nothing. An attorney is allowed to charge you for time spent on the phone and even for long distance charges on calls made for your benefit. They are also allowed to charge you for photocopies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">