• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Management

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

czl1019

What is the name of your state? CA

I work for the public sector. Our former manager retired. She was well liked by our department but not by the senior managers. Our Assistant Manager became "Acting Manager" while they went through interviews. She was one of the applicants and has been with the department for nearly two decades so she knew how to run the department, but because she was identified with the Retired Manager, she did not get the job. When the new manager started, our Assistant Manager was still doing the job of the retired manager because the New Manager had no direct experience with our field of work and needed time to be trained and familiarize herself with the job. After a few weeks, they met with the Assistant Manager and said that she will continue to do most of the job of the Retired Manager as they are giving the New Manager different priorities. There was no offer of a salary increase because they said it fell under "other duties as assigned" in her job description. They didn't think she was good enough for the job, and yet they want her to keep doing it-- for free. I think that it is unfair, but is there any legal recourse?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may well be unfair but no, there is no legal recourse. They were not under any legal obligation to offer her the job. Nor does any law prohibit the re-distribution of duties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">