• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I rear-ended an unlicensed driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

digitaldiva

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I was stopped at a stop light and glanced up, thought the car had taken off and hit the gas, and rear-ended a young gentleman. There appears to be minimal damage to both of our vehilces, mine an 05 Honda, his an older Chevy Blazer or so. My bumper has a couple of little holes and his is bent downward.

We didnt call the cops because I didnt want to see him get in trouble for being behind the wheel without a license, however I am concerned now that someone else owns the vehicle and is going to sue me. I also didnt call the police because there is a limit of at least 1000 in damage for the police to come, I can replace my bumper myself.

Im just not sure what to do. I have valid license, insurance ect, he said he has no license but has insurance. Suspended?

Im looking for advice.

moburkes

digitaldiva said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I was stopped at a stop light and glanced up, thought the car had taken off and hit the gas, and rear-ended a young gentleman. There appears to be minimal damage to both of our vehilces, mine an 05 Honda, his an older Chevy Blazer or so. My bumper has a couple of little holes and his is bent downward.

We didnt call the cops because I didnt want to see him get in trouble for being behind the wheel without a license, however I am concerned now that someone else owns the vehicle and is going to sue me. I also didnt call the police because there is a limit of at least 1000 in damage for the police to come, I can replace my bumper myself.

Im just not sure what to do. I have valid license, insurance ect, he said he has no license but has insurance. Suspended?

Im looking for advice.
Contact your insurance company and submit the claim.
Wait until they sue you to file the claim.
Settle out of court and ask them to sign a waiver of liability form once that is done. The lawyers on this site can help you with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">