• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal threats?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackirishraven

What is the name of your state? California

while I was working on july 4th, I was heling some guest and got a phone call from a co-worker. I asked the guest to hold on and answered the phone

me: Thank you for calling XX XXXXXX, this is Mike* at your service, can I help you.

him: Hey, Mike*, its me.

me: I am sorry, who is this?

him: Its me, Peter*, what's wrong with you?

me: Oh, sorry Peter*. I am with a guest, whats up?

him: Nothing, I just want to see if there are any managers there?

Me: Nope, just me.

him: Ok, thats all I wanted to know. Bye.

me: Ok, take care.

I returned to help the guest and a couple of minutes later, I got a second call from the same person.

me: Thank you for calling XX XXXXXX, This is Mike* at your service, Can I help you?

Him: Yeah its me, Peter* and I just want to tell you that if you ever talk to me like that agian, I am going to come down there and f#$King kill you, you F#$king D*&K!!

He hung up before I could reply back to him. I finished with the guests and thought about what to do. First, I called my GM (General Manager) and when I could not get a hold of her, I called my AGM (Assistant Genereal Manager). My AGM was concerned and asked if she could call me back after she thinks about what to do. After a few moments, she called back and told me to document the whole situation; which I did so. She also asked me if I was ok to work for the rest of the night or if I wanted her to come down and finish the rest of the night out. I told that I was freaking out and scared as hell but that I wanted to attempt to finish out the night and for her to enjoy her holiday. She then told me that if I see him to immediatly call the police. I said fine and did what she said.

Later on in the night, my GM called me and wanted to find out what it was that I wanted. I explained the situation to her and she told me that she would be there in a few minutes. I told her that my AGM wanted me to call the police if I saw Peter*. Immediatly, my GM said dont and that I should call her... in fact she insisted. I totally did not feel right about this but I agreed, even thought I probably would have called 911 first no matter what. Anyway, she said she would have a talk with Peter* in the morning and decide what to do than.

I called the following morning and spoke to my AGM. I also found out that Peter* was still working and suffered no real reprocutions. I also found out that my GM was not there at the time that I called. I called my GM's cell phone a little later and spoke to her in detail on the subject. She claims that she spoke to Peter* and that he was really apologetic and that it was an empty threat. She also said that it was my tone of voice that set him off and that I need to be more careful.

After speaking with her, I was left feeling that it was my fault and that I had done something wrong. I feel betrayed by my employer and feel that eve anyone wants to impose a serious threat on another person than its ok.

What are my rights? Is thera anything I can do and how do I know that it was an empty threat or night? Should I be worried and should I get a Lawyer as I had people tell me to do?

*names have been changed to protect ...er... me!

Last edited:

seniorjudge

blackirishraven said:
What is the name of your state? California

while I was working on july 4th, I was heling some guest and got a phone call from a co-worker. I asked the guest to hold on and answered the phone

me: Thank you for calling XX XXXXXX, this is Mike* at your service, can I help you.

him: Hey, Mike*, its me.

me: I am sorry, who is this?

him: Its me, Peter*, what's wrong with you?

me: Oh, sorry Peter*. I am with a guest, whats up?

him: Nothing, I just want to see if there are any managers there?

Me: Nope, just me.

him: Ok, thats all I wanted to know. Bye.

me: Ok, take care.

I returned to help the guest and a couple of minutes later, I got a second call from the same person.

me: Thank you for calling XX XXXXXX, This is Mike* at your service, Can I help you?

Him: Yeah its me, Peter* and I just want to tell you that if you ever talk to me like that agian, I am going to come down there and f#$King kill you, you F#$king D*&K!!

He hung up before I could reply back to him. I finished with the guests and thought about what to do. First, I called my GM (General Manager) and when I could not get a hold of her, I called my AGM (Assistant Genereal Manager). My AGM was concerned and asked if she could call me back after she thinks about what to do. After a few moments, she called back and told me to document the whole situation; which I did so. She also asked me if I was ok to work for the rest of the night or if I wanted her to come down and finish the rest of the night out. I told that I was freaking out and scared as hell but that I wanted to attempt to finish out the night and for her to enjoy her holiday. She then told me that if I see him to immediatly call the police. I said fine and did what she said.

Later on in the night, my GM called me and wanted to find out what it was that I wanted. I explained the situation to her and she told me that she would be there in a few minutes. I told her that my AGM wanted me to call the police if I saw Peter*. Immediatly, my GM said dont and that I should call her... in fact she insisted. I totally did not feel right about this but I agreed, even thought I probably would have called 911 first no matter what. Anyway, she said she would have a talk with Peter* in the morning and decide what to do than.

I called the following morning and spoke to my AGM. I also found out that Peter* was still working and suffered no real reprocutions. I also found out that my GM was not there at the time that I called. I called my GM's cell phone a little later and spoke to her in detail on the subject. She claims that she spoke to Peter* and that he was really apologetic and that it was an empty threat. She also said that it was my tone of voice that set him off and that I need to be more careful.

After speaking with her, I was left feeling that it was my fault and that I had done something wrong. I feel betrayed by my employer and feel that eve anyone wants to impose a serious threat on another person than its ok.

What are my rights? Is thera anything I can do and how do I know that it was an empty threat or night? Should I be worried and should I get a Lawyer as I had people tell me to do?

*names have been changed to protect ...er... me!

Let's see: some dork cussed you out and you wonder what your rights are?

Gee...that's a tough one. Let me think about it and get back with you tomorrow.

Meanwhile, call the ACLU....

blackirishraven

I'm not concerned with the insults... insults comes with the territory of living.

I am concerned with an explosive temper and a threat on my life. Never once in my life have I ever been threatened to that degree by another employee. I am also concerned with the 'its all your fault' and 'no big deal' attitude I have gotten from it.

I am inclined to believe that I should not have to worry about such a thing from a co-worker.

C

CheeseBlotto

Sack up and tell the cretin that the next time he talks to you like that, he'll be leaving horizontally.

BelizeBreeze

blackirishraven said:
I'm not concerned with the insults... insults comes with the territory of living.

I am concerned with an explosive temper and a threat on my life. Never once in my life have I ever been threatened to that degree by another employee. I am also concerned with the 'its all your fault' and 'no big deal' attitude I have gotten from it.

I am inclined to believe that I should not have to worry about such a thing from a co-worker.
Aside from the immediately previous post which only shows the poster's level of legal ignorance, you have only two LEGAL options:

1. quit and move on, or;

2. continue and ignore the idiot.

But then, you can always take cheeseIdiot's advice and end up in a lawsuit for assault.:rolleyes:

roma1

what you should do.

I am not going to bother replying about the other idiot replys earlier, the Logical thing to do is to keep the notes and paper trail of all that has happen so far, you continue working for the company. If he threaten you again or follow through with the last threat, you files charges against him to the police, then you take everything you have with the police report to your lawyer. The company and the Managers are responsible for their actions as well is his. you will be able to sue the company, the managers, and the subject itself, Never the get into verbal argument with him, let him speak and you stay quiet, never respond to him, always stay professional. This way it will not give the company any excuse to make it a mutual conflict. When all is said and done at the end, you will feel good you follow this advice. Good Luck

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Given that this thread was first posted three years ago next month, I feel confident in saying that the situation was resolved without the assistance of your sage advice.

Perhaps next time, you could chime in when the situation actually occurs and not when it has been reduced to a dim memory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">