• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He left the new home and I don't know what to do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mehere

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

:eek: my husband and I have been married a little over a year. We built a new home together in that time and it still is not complete. He has left the home and is no longer living there for the past three weeks and is not planning on returning. He says I stress him out. He is still paying on the morgage as of right now but my questions are - Is this considered abandonment? If I get served papers do I have to sign them and for how long can I not sign them? I was the one who came into the marrige with the sale of my other home of over $100 thousand dollars, he had nothing but his truck - is he still intitled to half of the profits if we sell the home eventhough he came into it with nothing?? PLEASE HELP!!!

LdiJ

mehere said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

:eek: my husband and I have been married a little over a year. We built a new home together in that time and it still is not complete. He has left the home and is no longer living there for the past three weeks and is not planning on returning. He says I stress him out. He is still paying on the morgage as of right now but my questions are - Is this considered abandonment? If I get served papers do I have to sign them and for how long can I not sign them? I was the one who came into the marrige with the sale of my other home of over $100 thousand dollars, he had nothing but his truck - is he still intitled to half of the profits if we sell the home eventhough he came into it with nothing?? PLEASE HELP!!!
You are going to need an attorney. There is simply too much money involved here to attempt to do anything without one.

Get a consult with one immediately. Borrow the money from family if you have to, but you NEED an attorney.

S

shell007

LdiJ said:
You are going to need an attorney. There is simply too much money involved here to attempt to do anything without one.

Get a consult with one immediately. Borrow the money from family if you have to, but you NEED an attorney.
Agree with LdiJ.

With that being said, I would think that the "NEW" home will be considered a "Marital asset", which would entitle him to 1/2 of the equity if the home is sold.

BUT

Since the home is still under construction...
We built a new home together in that time and it still is not complete.
I would like to think that there's not much to gain here (ie. not much equity if any at all).

LdiJ

shell007 said:
Agree with LdiJ.

With that being said, I would think that the "NEW" home will be considered a "Marital asset", which would entitle him to 1/2 of the equity if the home is sold.

BUT

Since the home is still under construction... I would like to think that there's not much to gain here (ie. not much equity if any at all).
There is if she put down the 100k**************.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">