• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyers salaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

onstar

What is the name of your state? NY

How much do you think traffic lawyers make? Im thinking about law school and these traffic lawyers seem to be doing ok. I hired a lawyer for a speeding ticket and was charged 120 bucks. Im thinking that with at least 10 clients a day they can make over 200K
a year.

You Are Guilty

Only $120? You must really live in the boonies. I wouldn't get out of bed for that, much less attend a hearing. Try anywhere from 2-10x more, depending on the severity of the ticket.

racer72

Great, you gross 200k a year in fees. Now lets take a look at expenses.
Compentent secretary: $75k a year in salary and benefits.
Couple of paralegals to do your leg work: $27,000 each salary and benefits.
Professional and business licenses: $4,000.
Rent for office space: $15,000.
Clothing, you have to dress the part: $10,000 a year and that is cheap.
Misc. expenses: $10,000.
Taxes, income, business, etc. $30,000.
The grand total left over for you: $2000. Don't spend it all in one place.

panzertanker

racer72 said:
racer72:
You forgot one more...
Look on your face when you read this; PRICELESS!
:D

HappyHusband

onstar said:
What is the name of your state? NY

How much do you think traffic lawyers make? Im thinking about law school and these traffic lawyers seem to be doing ok. I hired a lawyer for a speeding ticket and was charged 120 bucks. Im thinking that with at least 10 clients a day they can make over 200K
a year.
If the main reason you're thinking about going to law school is because you may pull down 200K a year, think about doing something else.

onstar

racer72 said:

actually, these lawyers are either based from their own homes or they just seem to hang around the traffic court soliciting people. They dont have secertaties either. however, i do see some with paralegals, but i suspect they get a commision with every client they bring in. and i paid in cash, so im not sure how much they pay in taxes. as for professional and business licenses, i dont know.

AHA

onstar said:
actually, these lawyers are either based from their own homes or they just seem to hang around the traffic court soliciting people. They dont have secertaties either. however, i do see some with paralegals, but i suspect they get a commision with every client they bring in. and i paid in cash, so im not sure how much they pay in taxes. as for professional and business licenses, i dont know.

And how long do you think you'll last in law school with zero interest (and therefore zero comprehension ability) in learning everything you have to learn about LAWS?

onstar

AHA said:
And how long do you think you'll last in law school with zero interest (and therefore zero comprehension ability) in learning everything you have to learn about LAWS?

I admit that i dont truely love the law. But i do love debating even on subject that i know ill have no chance off winning. ( i guess this makes me sound stoopid to some)

and BTW, the traffic court was in NYC. some of you might know that it's entirely different from other courts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">