• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disregarding Red Light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

techno

What is the name of your state? State - Michigan (MI)

Hi,

I am 27 years old. This is my first ever offense since I obtained my license 3 years back. I passed a red light and the cop caught me. A truck in front of me passed the light while it was turning red and I tried doing the same, but was few seconds late. Do you think I should go to the court and accept my offense, but plead to waive off the fine since I am a student? Or I should accept my offense and pay the fine without going to the court? Do you think since this was my first time. the court will not assign me points? If anyone knows about any driving education school/class in Michigan that I can take to avoid the points please let me know. I have no other source of income other than working 20 hrs at school since I am an international student.

Awaiting your thoughtful response. Thank you in advance.

acmb05

techno said:
What is the name of your state? State - Michigan (MI)

Hi,

I am 27 years old. This is my first ever offense since I obtained my license 3 years back. I passed a red light and the cop caught me. A truck in front of me passed the light while it was turning red and I tried doing the same, but was few seconds late. Do you think I should go to the court and accept my offense, but plead to waive off the fine since I am a student? Or I should accept my offense and pay the fine without going to the court? Do you think since this was my first time. the court will not assign me points? If anyone knows about any driving education school/class in Michigan that I can take to avoid the points please let me know. I have no other source of income other than working 20 hrs at school since I am an international student.

Awaiting your thoughtful response. Thank you in advance.
It is very possible that you can go to defensive driving school, however be forewarned that you have to pay for the class plus your court cost which when combined is usually more than the fine itself. If you are worried about the points on your license then by all means ask to attend the school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">