• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no salary raise: reprisal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

techrabbit999

What is the name of your state? California

I was hired by a small company a bit less then 5 months ago. When I negotiated my salary, I was told that they will give me a lower salary for the probation period (3 months) and then, if I fulfill their expectations, they will raise it after 3 months and will keep raising it every 3 months till the end of the year when it reaches the agreed amount. It was an oral agreement and I discussed it in detail with one of the 2 CEOs. My offer letter states that my employment will be reviewed every 3 months and at that time I will be eligible for a salary raise. I exceeded their expectations, as I was told, but I didn't get any salary raise in my last paycheck. I talked with the second CEO (the previously mentioned one is on vacation) and he said he never heard of any salary raise but he would call the other person and notify me as soon as he gets the answer. He called him right after I left his office last Friday afternoon but I don't have any answer by now. Now he's away on vacation too. I believe, I'm having reprisal from the other person. In the beginning, he seemed to have some kind of lust for me, what he said sounded as an invitation but very subtle, a couple of times he physically approached me closer then people consider as normal but it looked like by accident. Technically, I had nothing to complain about. I know about his state because he wasn't able to stay quite next to me, without trembling and such. I had to repay my travel expenses, I filled out the forms and submitted to the office manager, and that man was responsible to process. She assured me they would've been processed in 2 days, but I didn't have anything in 2 weeks. That time I was really busy and didn't chat with that man. Then one day, I chated with him, and in a couple of hours the office manager brough me a check! Then after awile he stopped all his "jokes" and became rather rude towards me which state have been lasting till now. He started to flirt with a female in my cube, it's very disturbing for my work (they talk literary over the top of my head) and also she's covered for doing no work and making less then 8 hours a day, while I'm asked to work extra hours and weekends.

I believe, they both will be back from vacation on Monday. Question: what should I do and what should I avoid doing? What should I do if this man decides to fire me?

The funny thing, I relized that the other man promised to get back to me as soon as he gets a reply but... suddenly went on vacation.

Beth3

Your offer letter says you are eligible for a pay raise every three months. That is not the same at all as being guaranteed a payraise.

As to the trembling CEO, I have no idea if you're imagining an overwhelming attraction to you or not but he hasn't crossed any boundaries. If you don't like how things are working out, then find another job.

techrabbit999

The underlying legal issue might be that we agreed that I have lower salary for the probation and then he raises it, but he didn't raise it because I "failed to understand" his hints. On Monday, it will be a lot of pressure on me, and a lot of humiliation (it's his way to manage things), what questions should I ask to him to get a prove why he did it?

mlane58

techrabbit999 said:
The underlying legal issue might be that we agreed that I have lower salary for the probation and then he raises it, but he didn't raise it because I "failed to understand" his hints. On Monday, it will be a lot of pressure on me, and a lot of humiliation (it's his way to manage things), what questions should I ask to him to get a prove why he did it?
There isn't an underlying legal issue. As Beth3 stated your offer letter stated the possibility of raises not a guaranteed of a payraise and as for the you're continued belief that the CEO is maikng some sort of hints of attraction towards you is just a belief and has no substance. Again as Beth3 stated, if you are not happy there find a new job.

Beth3

techrabbit999 said:
Whether you have proof doesn't matter. You have no employment contract and therefore no guaranteed raises. The boss changed his mind, perhaps due to unforseen circumstances (cash flow problems, loss of a customer, etc.) He gets to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">