• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was in a hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aoie_emesai

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hit and Run

About 1 month ago i was in Publix buying grocery (duh), and i got a message from the intercom saying" can the owner of the 4 door civic please come to the customer service." I didn't care are first and just paid for my grocery and left to go to my car. As I walked to my car, i saw my front bumper on the floor, plus the metallic bumper underneath the front fiberglass/plastic bumper. I walked into publix and to the customer service and I told them I was the owner of the civic. They told me that a publix employee had just witnessed a hit and run and she got the licence plate number, and she also left her number if we needed her on a piece of paper. Immediately I took the phone and called the police to make a report. They came and did their thing, and told me that the report would be finished in around 2 business day, and couldn't be done today because their system was down (what a good time too).

I waited around 1 1/2 week before visiting the Police Station after i came from school, and i got the report, but the officer at the desk told me that the report was incompleted. They gotten the name of the owner of the car and the insurance that they had, plus the address of the person who hit me. I felt it was too dangerous to go visit them directly so i waited. I called my insurance company to report it but they told me since i was the victim, I didn't have to unless i wanted to file a uninsured motorist claim, but that wasnt't necessary because they were insured. I was suppose to talk to their insurance which was close by, but my mom wanted to come, so i had no choice but to take her. But evidently she talked to her supervisor about it and was told that 1 witness maybe not be enought evidence to convince the guys insurance to compley them to pay for the damage which was around 2k. That day also i visited the police station again to see whether they were finished with my report but the office that to teh accident with my had just had a death in the family and hasn't been back for over a week. So today (7/7/06) i'm gonna go visit her supervisor and talk to him because he's the only other person who knows the case.

Should i file a claim with the guys insurance anyway, just with the police report as my only evidence?

ps: the accident was almost a month ago.

ecmst12

Of course you should file the claim with the person's insurance! Don't worry about what to do if they deny it, unless they actually do, hopefully they won't give you a hard time about it at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">