• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

received a traffic ticket about 18 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

18yearsago

The citations were issued in Arizona, but I live in California.

3 citations were issued:
- speeding
- outdated registration (my car was registered- maybe the tag was not applied)
- no proof of insurance (I did have insurance)

The issue is that a friend of mine drove my truck gave the officer my lic instead of his. I never saw the ticket and never knew of the ticked until years later. I have not paid the ticket and fought it by phone and mail - to no conclusion. I received a notice the other day saying I still owed Parker, Arizona $500+ for these citations.

No "hold" is on my license or car registration.. no tickets on my record. No bench warrant has been issued. Why should I pay it? They will garnish my wages or winnings IN ARIZONA- but I don't live there and have no plans to. Part of me is willing to pay something to have this issue 100% settled once and for all- but not sure what to do or what the consequences are if I do nothing. All help is appreciated.

seniorjudge

18yearsago said:

3 citations were issued:
- speeding

The issue is that a friend of mine drove my truck gave the officer my lic instead of his. I never saw the ticket and never knew of the ticked until years later. I have not paid the ticket and fought it by phone and mail - to no conclusion. I received a notice the other day saying I still owed Parker, Arizona $500+ for these citations.

No "hold" is on my license or car registration.. no tickets on my record. No bench warrant has been issued. Why should I pay it? They will garnish my wages or winnings IN ARIZONA- but I don't live there and have no plans to. Part of me is willing to pay something to have this issue 100% settled once and for all- but not sure what to do or what the consequences are if I do nothing. All help is appreciated.

Standard answer on statute of limitations:

There are thousands of posts similar to yours on this forum, so I have prepared a standard answer. Use what is helpful; disregard the rest.

The statutes on limitations is, among other things, a statute telling the government how long it has to file a criminal charge. It stops running the day the charge is filed.

This is not a game of tag where, if you can keep from getting caught, you are home free.

Some states and jurisdictions will pull old warrants after awhile; some states and jurisdictions keep warrants active forever.

My best advice: surrender.

Stand by for other opinions.

18yearsago

Thanks -

I did read more/various posts and found what you stated about the statute of limitations. I thought it was curious that they had not impacted me in any way in CA. I never had a warrant or DMV hold or anything. I now believe this is likely due to CA not previously participating in the contract whereby they honor other states tickes, which apparently they do now.

At the end of the day- it's just no longer worth trying to argue anything about this ticket. I sent the check today and paid it.. figure karma will take care of it and at least it won't bite me in the behind years down the road.

Sometimes it's better just to take care of it and be DONE with it. Thanks for your help.

fairisfair

18yearsago said:

3 citations were issued:
- speeding

I am just wondering, how is that possible? do you and your friend look amazing alike??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">