• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend was driving my car and got a ticket. Who is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cromulent

What is the name of your state? Texas

So, a friend of mine got a ticket while driving my car. The ticket was for an expired inspection sticker. I wasn't in the vehicle at the time and she knew the sticker was expired. I had told her previoulsy that if she drives it, it's the risk she is choosing to take.

Now she's let the ticket, which is in her name, wait so long that she has a warrant for her arrest and the price to pay it off has doubled. Now of course she's trying to get me to pay it because it is my car. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me who is in the right or wrong on this one?What is the name of your state?

ceara19

cromulent said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

So, a friend of mine got a ticket while driving my car. The ticket was for an expired inspection sticker. I wasn't in the vehicle at the time and she knew the sticker was expired. I had told her previoulsy that if she drives it, it's the risk she is choosing to take.

Now she's let the ticket, which is in her name, wait so long that she has a warrant for her arrest and the price to pay it off has doubled. Now of course she's trying to get me to pay it because it is my car. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me who is in the right or wrong on this one?What is the name of your state?
Let her know that she is the responsible party when you visit her in jail,

JETX

cromulent said:
I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me who is in the right or wrong on this one?
The responsibility for checking the vehicle status (inspection, registration, etc.) is the DRIVERS, before they start the vehicle.

ceara19

runway123 said:
Any TRUE FRIEND would not have let ANYONE drive their car if a sticker was expired.
No, a TRUE FRIEND wouldn't be bitching and moaning about getting a ticket for a problem that they were aware of after the car owner was gracious enough to loan them their car.

runway123

The car should not have been lent out. The owner knew that driving it would constitute an illegal act. It is true that she drove it anyway and it is her fault for the ticket but realistically there are two people at blame. What happens if the insurance company is notified that he is lending out his car without a valid inspection sticker on it?

ceara19

runway123 said:
The car should not have been lent out. The owner knew that driving it would constitute an illegal act. It is true that she drove it anyway and it is her fault for the ticket but realistically there are two people at blame. What happens if the insurance company is notified that he is lending out his car without a valid inspection sticker on it?
The owner wasn't driving the car. BOTH parties were aware of the fact that the inspection was overdue. The OWNER was willing to take the chance with their insurance company (which they are not going to do anything just because someone drove the car with an expired inspection sticker anyway) and the FRIEND took the chance with the police.

Trying to make the owner out to be the one at fault is completely idiotic. The "friend" needs to grow up and start taking responsibility for their own actions. The person KNOWINGLY and WILLFULLY drove the vehicle and now they must deal with the repercussions.

MandyD

runway123 said:
This site is for legal advice and while there are times when the legal advice is wrong, your post is nothing but twaddle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">