• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to proceed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeftField37

What is the name of your state? IN

My wife and I separated in Feb of this year. I need to file for divorce but I'm not quite sure how to proceed. It's an amicable situation so we've already agreed on how to split the assets we've acquired. We own a duplex in which we lived in one half and rented the other half. She's staying in the house and I want no part of it now or in the future so I'm assuming I'll need a quit claim deed for that. There are no children involved. Since the divorce will be so simple I'd like to proceed without a lawyer if that's possible. Can anyone offer any information or perhaps point me towards the resources which could help me? Thanks in advance for any advice!

LdiJ

LeftField37 said:
What is the name of your state? IN

My wife and I separated in Feb of this year. I need to file for divorce but I'm not quite sure how to proceed. It's an amicable situation so we've already agreed on how to split the assets we've acquired. We own a duplex in which we lived in one half and rented the other half. She's staying in the house and I want no part of it now or in the future so I'm assuming I'll need a quit claim deed for that. There are no children involved. Since the divorce will be so simple I'd like to proceed without a lawyer if that's possible. Can anyone offer any information or perhaps point me towards the resources which could help me? Thanks in advance for any advice!
One important point is that the quit claim deed (and yes you will need to sign one) doesn't take away your responsibility for the mortgage. Therefore she needs to be able to refinance the mortgage into her own name in order to remove you. If she won't be able to qualify on her own, that could be a problem.

If things are amicable and you are in agreement you might find that an attorney won't cost much....and it would make the process go much smoother. You may never have to set foot in a courtroom at all if you use an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">