• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

7 year old ticket dismissed - speedy trial statute of limitations NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mari79

What is the name of your state? NY New York

Figured I would include plenty of keywords in the title so people can find this down the road.

I recently succeeded in having a 7 year old traffic infraction dismissed based on speedy trial grounds in Nassau county, NY. It sems they are pulling many old violations, there were several other drivers who were called in on old tickets.

While researching, I found People v. Ramsammay, a 2006 case from Kings county.
(2006 NY Slip Op 50336U; 11 Misc. 3d 1061A; 2006 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 442)

The case can be accessed here: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/Decisions.htm
by clicking on "search slip opinions" and then searching by the Judge's name "Suzanne Mondo"

This direct link may also work: http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2006/2006_50336.htm

Notable quotes:
"Although CPL 30.30 (1) [criminal procedure law] is inapplicable to traffic infractions such as VTL § 1192 [1], a defendant's right to a speedy trial is guaranteed by the United States Constitu-tion, the New York Constitution, and CriminalProcedure Law 30.20. n1"

"In People v Taylor (189 Misc 2d 313, 731 N.Y.S.2d 324 [App Term, 2nd Dept 2001]), the court stated that although "a defendant charged with a traffic infraction has no statutory right to a speedy trial, he nevertheless has a constitutional right to a speedy trial (People v Fisher, 167 Misc 2d 850, 635 N.Y.S.2d 1002)"

I caried a copy of the case with me for the judge. Otherwise my motion to dismiss was oral.

Hopefully this helps somebody!

mari79

You Are Guilty said:
I guess you didn't bother reading the actual holding of that case, huh?
Seems as if you didnt bother to read - the defendant lost because his motion didnt address the factors the court considers to decide whether his rights were violated - the key is to argue not just that there has been a delay, but that there was no reason for the state to delay and that you have been prejudiced.

"inexcusable delay will not in and of itself be sufficient to warrant the drastic measure of dismissal(People v Taylor, 189 Misc 2d 313, 314 [App Term, 2d Dept 2001], supra, citing People v Taranovich, 37 NY2d 442, supra, at 446), defendant has not established that his constitutional rights have been

violated to a point where dismissal is warranted. Accordingly, defendant's motion for an order dismissing the traffic infraction is denied."

Regardless of the holding, the case is useful because it points out that speedy trial does apply to traffic infractions.

SpeedyTrail

Speedy Trial

I'm going through same situation in Nassau County.

The key is to argue not just that there has been a delay, but that there was no reason for the state to delay and that you have been prejudiced.
How were you Prejudiced?

cepe10

What is the name of your state? NY New York

Figured I would include plenty of keywords in the title so people can find this down the road.

I recently succeeded in having a 7 year old traffic infraction dismissed based on speedy trial grounds in Nassau county, NY. It sems they are pulling many old violations, there were several other drivers who were called in on old tickets.

While researching, I found People v. Ramsammay, a 2006 case from Kings county.
(2006 NY Slip Op 50336U; 11 Misc. 3d 1061A; 2006 N.Y. Misc. LEXIS 442)

The case can be accessed here: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/Decisions.htm
by clicking on "search slip opinions" and then searching by the Judge's name "Suzanne Mondo"

This direct link may also work: http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2006/2006_50336.htm

Notable quotes:
"Although CPL 30.30 (1) [criminal procedure law] is inapplicable to traffic infractions such as VTL § 1192 [1], a defendant's right to a speedy trial is guaranteed by the United States Constitu-tion, the New York Constitution, and CriminalProcedure Law 30.20. n1"

"In People v Taylor (189 Misc 2d 313, 731 N.Y.S.2d 324 [App Term, 2nd Dept 2001]), the court stated that although "a defendant charged with a traffic infraction has no statutory right to a speedy trial, he nevertheless has a constitutional right to a speedy trial (People v Fisher, 167 Misc 2d 850, 635 N.Y.S.2d 1002)"

I caried a copy of the case with me for the judge. Otherwise my motion to dismiss was oral.

Hopefully this helps somebody!
Thanks - 7 years...they really must be after revenues to go to those kinds of lengths... it is clearly not about public safety - the true intent of the law

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since 1993 I have lived with different people, MOVED Many times. I am married 13 years..
I'm sure my wife discarded any papers about a ticket from 1993 when I was 37, and now I am almost 60!!!

My Lawyer from back then who had any legal papers of mine has retired (or DIED!)
I do not have any banking records from then to show I had PAID the ticket, or APPEARED, or whatever!

Any Police Officer from back then would probably RETIRED, or forgotten the incident. Is this crazy or what!??
It's been 7.5 years since this thread was started...

Please start your own thread.
Please don't necropost.

OHRoadwarrior

What is crazy is that you have not stated whether they issued a warrant or suspension and you just fled from it successfully all these years and are now saying you should get a free ride because you did so.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
FYI warrants cannot be issued for traffic tickets in NY. A traffic ticket does not provide the probable cause necessary for a warrant to be issued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">