• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Lot Vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madpsycotic

I parked my truck in a motel parking lot to discover my driver's side window being busted out the next morning. After talking to the owner, he professes no liability for the said incident and blames customers of a Mexican bar close to his property. Is he liable for these damages? Thanks.

I'm in VA, by the way.

madpsycotic

madpsycotic said:
I parked my truck in a motel parking lot to discover my driver's side window being busted out the next morning. After talking to the owner, he professes no liability for the said incident and blames customers of a Mexican bar close to his property. Is he liable for these damages? Thanks.

I'm in VA, by the way.
Owner in this case refers to the motel owner. Sorry for any confusion.

You Are Guilty

madpsycotic said:

I'm in VA, by the way.
The owner absolutely, positively, 100% is liable...if he was the one who broke the window.

madpsycotic

I am fairly certain that the motel owner did not break the window personally; therefore, my question is better worded another way: Is he liable for not providing adequate security that would allow such damages to occur on his property?

You Are Guilty

madpsycotic said:
I am fairly certain that the motel owner did not break the window personally; therefore, my question is better worded another way: Is he liable for not providing adequate security that would allow such damages to occur on his property?
Ah, that's a horse of a different color. Unfortunately, that color is "no" - an innkeeper is not liable for the criminal acts of third parties. They generally have to only provide "minimal security", such as lights. And if there's a sign saying something like "park at your own risk", you're really in trouble. There is no requirement that they guarantee absolute safety.

Of course, you're free to file the claim with the hotel's insurance anyway. If you're a good customer, they may pay it in the name of goodwill. (The other 99% of the time, they'll tell you to shove it).

madpsycotic

There was no signage denoting "park at your own risk" inside or outside of the motel lobby/parking lot area.

I wouldn't call myself a "good customer" as this was my first time I can recollect staying at this particular chain. Also, it was my girlfriend who purchased the room, not myself.

The owner was not forthcoming with information about his insurance agency, although I suspect I could get more information from his corporate affiliation. The first event that brought his potential liability to my attention was an employee who notified me the owner possessed insurance for this sort of thing.

Again, the sum of money involved, as you may have guessed (a single window broken), does not warrant entering into court. If items in my truck had been stolen, this would have been a much different case.

If nothing else, a reimbursement for our night's stay would be a good gesture that the business is concerned about customer safety.

Thank you very much Guilty for your help.

moburkes

madpsycotic said:
There was no signage denoting "park at your own risk" inside or outside of the motel lobby/parking lot area.

I wouldn't call myself a "good customer" as this was my first time I can recollect staying at this particular chain. Also, it was my girlfriend who purchased the room, not myself.

The owner was not forthcoming with information about his insurance agency, although I suspect I could get more information from his corporate affiliation. The first event that brought his potential liability to my attention was an employee who notified me the owner possessed insurance for this sort of thing.

Again, the sum of money involved, as you may have guessed (a single window broken), does not warrant entering into court. If items in my truck had been stolen, this would have been a much different case.

If nothing else, a reimbursement for our night's stay would be a good gesture that the business is concerned about customer safety.

Thank you very much Guilty for your help.
The customer wasn't broken into while you were sleeping. Your vehicle was. If my vehicle was parked in your driveway, and my window was smashed, would you pay to repair it? Also, how much do you think the employee knows about his boss' insurance policy? Come on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">