• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

the_lookout

What is the name of your state? Tennessee.
My wife and I have been divorced for 5 years. In our divorce agreement I agreed to pay her a sum of money, I payed half of that sum the first year. A few months later I filed bankruptcy she was one of my creditors and the bankruptcy court awarded her a portion of the other half. She now says she is going to file for contempt of court on the rest. This was not alimony, child support, or spousal support only an agreement in the divorce papers. Any advice or opinions on what the outcome will be?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

the_lookout said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee.
My wife and I have been divorced for 5 years. In our divorce agreement I agreed to pay her a sum of money, I payed half of that sum the first year. A few months later I filed bankruptcy she was one of my creditors and the bankruptcy court awarded her a portion of the other half. She now says she is going to file for contempt of court on the rest. This was not alimony, child support, or spousal support only an agreement in the divorce papers. Any advice or opinions on what the outcome will be?What is the name of your state?
If that was a marital property settlement, then you can be held in contempt for not giving her, her share of the property. I all depends on the specifics of your property settlement.

the_lookout

agreement

It was an agreement in our marital dissolution agreement the property in question was my estate that bankruptcy sold.

weenor

post on the bk threads and ask Ladyinred if a property settlement is dischargeable in bk. I think it is and I don't think that the judge can find you in contempt for the portion that was partially dischaged. If you have paid what she as awarded in bk, you should be good. If you have not paid, then your screwed. Anyway double check on the dischargeability issue.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
the_lookout said:
It was an agreement in our marital dissolution agreement the property in question was my estate that bankruptcy sold.
You owe her what the divorce court says you owe her. If you did not pay her the whole amount then you have problems with contempt. Your defense to contempt may be bankruptcy but she can still go after you for contempt. Especially if she may be able to show that you planned to file bankruptcy at the time you agreed to pay her the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">