• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental car and damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlrl

What is the name of your state? NY. In 6/2002 I rented a car to go from NYC to Atlanta to attend a relative's wedding. I used my own insurance policy for the car rental. I understood that if i got into an accident or noticed damage I would get a police report. The rental company went over the existing damages with me as they always did in the past(rented from them before). Though I didn't keep track of EVERY ding and dent that might have been there I noted that there wasn't any major damage before I drove off

Next morning at the hotel in Atlanta I noticed something that looked like a big dent. Nothing outlandish but enough to make me get a police report. I did just that.

When I returned the car I turned in the police report along with the car and reported the damages. They didn't say there would be any charge

next AM when i checked my bank balance (rented on a debit card) I noticed the charge was $100 higher than the rental would have costed me for those 4 days. When I called the company they told me the damege was a $100 deductible regardless of who was at fault.

I called the NY state insurance company who told me yes they can charge me a $100 deductible for the damage

I never challenged it further because it sounded valid. Still though I feel as if i had been cheated in some way though I don't know why.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

RL

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
rlrl said:
What is the name of your state? NY. In 6/2002 I rented a car to go from NYC to Atlanta to attend a relative's wedding. I used my own insurance policy for the car rental. I understood that if i got into an accident or noticed damage I would get a police report. The rental company went over the existing damages with me as they always did in the past(rented from them before). Though I didn't keep track of EVERY ding and dent that might have been there I noted that there wasn't any major damage before I drove off

Next morning at the hotel in Atlanta I noticed something that looked like a big dent. Nothing outlandish but enough to make me get a police report. I did just that.

When I returned the car I turned in the police report along with the car and reported the damages. They didn't say there would be any charge

next AM when i checked my bank balance (rented on a debit card) I noticed the charge was $100 higher than the rental would have costed me for those 4 days. When I called the company they told me the damege was a $100 deductible regardless of who was at fault.

I called the NY state insurance company who told me yes they can charge me a $100 deductible for the damage

I never challenged it further because it sounded valid. Still though I feel as if i had been cheated in some way though I don't know why.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

RL
What does your rental agreement and/or damage waiver contract say about this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">