• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case closed, can I reopen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RBE

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, truth be told I have two questions, though I know one does not belong in this forum. Because this appears to be much more mature than the automotive forums to which I belong I figure I can ask without reprisal.

First off, the matter belonging in this forum: I have a ticket I attempted to fight by written declaration. The past school year was my first at UC Irvine and the court ended up sending back my request twice for the check. First they told me I needed my name and address on it, so I followed their request, and then they sent it back asking for a cashier's check. My finances are impeccable so this isn't the issue. The issue was I lost track of the case because they sent it back to me two weeks before finals.

I got a letter from them warning me of an impending 300 dollar fine and a requisite visit to the court to explain my failure to appear. I was attempting to fight by written declaration mostly because the ticket is from Modesto, 400 miles away, and I cannot take time from my finals to do that. I called up the court, and the teller told me jovially that I had nothing to worry about, the case was clcosed. Having never fought a ticket before, I thought "closed" an odd term, but her jovial tone assuaged my worries. My suspicions got the better of me within two weeks and I called back. They gave me the point without reading my defense, they threw it away because I was late with the check.

My question is, can I reopen this case? I really can't afford this ticket and I believe I have a decent chance at winning the case, at the very least it's better than not trying. If there's anything I can do, it'd be amazing. I appreciate any help I can get.

The other question is also automotive related, it belongs in small claims court, but I didn't see a forum for it. An acquaintance of mine has 1200 dollars' in car parts. I lent him all these parts, with the exception of the last, a 300 dollar throttle body which he was going to sell for me. I need the parts back, but he's since divorced his wife, moved from his house, and is ducking me. My local police tell me it's not criminal. I can find him, that's not my worry.

I don't have any receipts of any kind, which is my problem. I should be able to get corroborative testimony from his wife, and some of my family. Is this enough to win a case in small claims? Thanks for your time, and again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

CS

seniorjudge

RBE said:
Hi,

I'm new to these forums, truth be told I have two questions, though I know one does not belong in this forum. Because this appears to be much more mature than the automotive forums to which I belong I figure I can ask without reprisal.

First off, the matter belonging in this forum: I have a ticket I attempted to fight by written declaration. The past school year was my first at UC Irvine and the court ended up sending back my request twice for the check. First they told me I needed my name and address on it, so I followed their request, and then they sent it back asking for a cashier's check. My finances are impeccable so this isn't the issue. The issue was I lost track of the case because they sent it back to me two weeks before finals.

I got a letter from them warning me of an impending 300 dollar fine and a requisite visit to the court to explain my failure to appear. I was attempting to fight by written declaration mostly because the ticket is from Modesto, 400 miles away, and I cannot take time from my finals to do that. I called up the court, and the teller told me jovially that I had nothing to worry about, the case was clcosed. Having never fought a ticket before, I thought "closed" an odd term, but her jovial tone assuaged my worries. My suspicions got the better of me within two weeks and I called back. They gave me the point without reading my defense, they threw it away because I was late with the check.

My question is, can I reopen this case? I really can't afford this ticket and I believe I have a decent chance at winning the case, at the very least it's better than not trying. If there's anything I can do, it'd be amazing. I appreciate any help I can get.

The other question is also automotive related, it belongs in small claims court, but I didn't see a forum for it. An acquaintance of mine has 1200 dollars' in car parts. I lent him all these parts, with the exception of the last, a 300 dollar throttle body which he was going to sell for me. I need the parts back, but he's since divorced his wife, moved from his house, and is ducking me. My local police tell me it's not criminal. I can find him, that's not my worry.

I don't have any receipts of any kind, which is my problem. I should be able to get corroborative testimony from his wife, and some of my family. Is this enough to win a case in small claims? Thanks for your time, and again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

CS

Q: My question is, can I reopen this case?

A: No. You failed to appear for court or otherwise contest it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">