• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I actually leave the scene?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sambotrobot

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I was in an accident that was my fault last week. I wrecked my car but only scratched the other vehicles bumper. I gave her my information. Due to running out of medication I was quite hysterical. Screaming and crying and all that. This is when the other girl called the police. I wanted to get away from her until the cops arrived so I walked a block down the street (still in view of the accident) and proceeded to have a mental breakdown. The cop arrived and tried to calm me down. I said that I was going to kill myself. He attempted to get me to walk over to the car and fill out the report so that I could be on my way, but I told him that I felt that I was going to throw up if I stood. A second cop showed up who wasn't as understanding. He slapped the cuffs on and sent me to jail. I was charged with failure to return to the scene of an accident.

What is going to happen? Will they throw it out? Should I hire a lawyer or use the public defender? Does it make any difference that I am mentally ill? Should I explain to the judge my mental illness or will that make it worse? What is my best bet to make this go away? It is very important that I am not put on probation, or have my license taken away.

justalayman

If it is as you state, I would definately look into hiring your own attorney. I would suspect there is a good chance of it getting tossed IF it is as you posted.

Of course, the cop will have a different story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">