• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Garage Water Damage to Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cubluejay

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

On Saturday, July 8th my vehicle was parked in a parking garage at the university I attend. Evidently a pipe located on the ceiling above my parking space began leaking some turbid, whitish liquid down onto my car. To my dismay, the discolorations caused by this did not wash off. Today I procured an estimate from a body shop, and it is going to cost hundreds of dollars to fix the paint, as whatever it was that was leaking from the pipe was caustic.

So...is the university liable for the damages to my car? I pay a yearly student parking fee to have access to the garage. I'm at a loss for words as this is a brand new vehicle purchased just over a month ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

moburkes

cubluejay said:
What is the name of your state? Nebraska

On Saturday, July 8th my vehicle was parked in a parking garage at the university I attend. Evidently a pipe located on the ceiling above my parking space began leaking some turbid, whitish liquid down onto my car. To my dismay, the discolorations caused by this did not wash off. Today I procured an estimate from a body shop, and it is going to cost hundreds of dollars to fix the paint, as whatever it was that was leaking from the pipe was caustic.

So...is the university liable for the damages to my car? I pay a yearly student parking fee to have access to the garage. I'm at a loss for words as this is a brand new vehicle purchased just over a month ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
I'm going to assume that you have full coverage insurance. Have you contacted your insurance company? What does the agreement that you signed when you rented the space say about liability?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">