• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Soon to Be unemployed wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limpy

What is the name of your state? MD

Hello to all... My wife and I filled out a separation agreement which is great. The question I have is around the 22 of July she gets out of the Military and will be unemployed. She was supposed to move out yesterday but changed the date for the military to move her till the 30th of July. Does or could this change the separation agreement? Would I have to pay her alimony? Would she be able to get anything by being unemployed than leaving compared to be leaving than getting out of the military? As always thank you in advanced.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
is the separation agreement filed with the court? If not do so quickly. Also her getting out the military is not a surprise to anyone and should have been taken into consideration when the separation agreement was drawn up. If not by you then by her.

limpy

Ohiogal said:
is the separation agreement filed with the court? If not do so quickly. Also her getting out the military is not a surprise to anyone and should have been taken into consideration when the separation agreement was drawn up. If not by you then by her.
I am checking on that now. If not is that something that I can do by myself? The original thought was that she was going back home until the house was sold and than she would go back to school or work for GM. Can this be over look and we would have to rework everything?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
limpy said:
I am checking on that now. If not is that something that I can do by myself? The original thought was that she was going back home until the house was sold and than she would go back to school or work for GM. Can this be over look and we would have to rework everything?
What I am saying is that since the separation agreement is fairly recent (as in the past few months correct?) and the move out of the military and hence into unemployment is not a surprise -- she would have had good reason to know about it when the agreement was signed, then knowing this your stbx-wife could have asked for alimony. If she didn't, then she can't plead that her unemployment is a change in circumstance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">