• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new job during divorce?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prettyliltxsun

Hi! I live in Texas, have been married for almost 11 years and have 2 children. I have been a stay-at-home mom the entire time as requested by my husband..therefore, I have no current marketable skills or references to obtain a descent paying job with desirable hours. Without a doubt, I will be working a minimum wage job with horrible hours. With the upcoming divorce, I obviously need to get a job. A few friends have told me that if I get a job before the financial decisions of the divorce have been made, this will be shown as income for me and I will receive less in child support/alimony..essentially screwing me out of money that I would otherwise get. So, my question is: Do I go ahead and find a job or wait?? I have no idea what to do. I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

prettyliltxsun said:
Hi! I live in Texas, have been married for almost 11 years and have 2 children. I have been a stay-at-home mom the entire time as requested by my husband..therefore, I have no current marketable skills or references to obtain a descent paying job with desirable hours. Without a doubt, I will be working a minimum wage job with horrible hours. With the upcoming divorce, I obviously need to get a job. A few friends have told me that if I get a job before the financial decisions of the divorce have been made, this will be shown as income for me and I will receive less in child support/alimony..essentially screwing me out of money that I would otherwise get. So, my question is: Do I go ahead and find a job or wait?? I have no idea what to do. I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!!
My response:

It doesn't matter.

Judges aren't stupid, and they realize that even a high school dropout with 8 children can get a job flipping burgers at McDonald's.

Judge's see this situation every single day, and even if you don't get a job, the judge will see that you have two arms and legs, and will then "impute" a certain dollar amount of income ability to you, and make his decision based upon that "imputation".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">