• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Read This please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeynhia

What is the name of your state? Nevada
My fiance and I got hired about 2 months ago from a major retailer.We both work in the same department (loss prevention security) and the manager that hired us knew of our relationship. We just got told by her that the Human Resource manager says that one of us have to quit because of our relationship.
Its funny because an hour later after she told us that, On the CCTV cameras we observed an office manager and a associate holding hands on the floor and also gave a kiss. I saved the video on cd but am now wondering what I should do.
POlicy from what I read is if one of you is a supervisor then you can't.
can I sue for this?

joeynhia

BelizeBreeze said:
Sue for what?

You have no case. either one of you quits or wait to piss off a few people and both of you get fired.
:rolleyes:
I think it is unfair that another couple can work there and we can't? Policy doesn't say anything aobut why we cant work there.only if the other person is superior. This lady taht works there has been working there for almost 10 years and she can work with their "other" and I can't?

moburkes

joeynhia said:
I think it is unfair that another couple can work there and we can't? Policy doesn't say anything aobut why we cant work there.only if the other person is superior. This lady taht works there has been working there for almost 10 years and she can work with their "other" and I can't?
What employment law violation did your employer commit?

mlane58

joeynhia said:
Unfair is not illegal and as BelizeBreeze stated you have no case. Find a another job

fairisfair

joeynhia said:
I thought it was discrimnation. Just because we are asian and they are white
How do you know that they have not been told the same thing? You have been asked to quit or stop dating. That has nothing to do with your race.

moburkes

fairisfair said:
How do you know that they have not been told the same thing? You have been asked to quit or stop dating. That has nothing to do with your race.
And BOTH of you are not being required to quit.

joeynhia

fairisfair said:
I asked them and they said they havent and everyone in the store knows of their relationship. Maybe because they are elderly?

fairisfair

joeynhia said:
I asked them and they said they havent and everyone in the store knows of their relationship. Maybe because they are elderly?
Nope sorry, no age discrimination here either.

BelizeBreeze

joeynhia said:
I dont get it.
We didn't violate policy. But another couple can stay...and we can't?
What am I missing here?
What you are missing, lady, is the fact that absent an employment contract, you have NO RIGHT to a job, only the priviledge to work. And yes, the employer can set policy, be it from the onset of employment or at any other time.

As long as the policy does not violate federal or state law, you follow or you leave.

How plain do you want it? :rolleyes:

xylene

Belize Breeze is totally right.

That said, lets look at the common sense of the situation.

They are asking one of you to leave the company, suddenly, citing a policy that is for supervisiors and subordinates (not your situation)... that is not anything like uniformly enforced... :cool:

What that would tell me is that even if one of you quits, the long term prospect for the one who stays is not so great.

Be prepared to both find new jobs. You deserve better than to work for closet racists who skirt the intent of the law.

Good luck to you both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">