• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Divorce and have questions on what to do..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amyray50

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Hello everyone, i am a newbie here and need some advice on what to do. OK here is my situation. My husband and i have only been married a very short time (9 months) and we are getting divorced. He said he does not want the divorce and does not want to be the one to file. However he is the one who got an attorney, and she said she is representing him only. She has set up a meeting with the 3 of us to meet to come to an agreement. Should i meet with her even if i am unrepresented? Since my husband has a lawyer will i get the short end of the stick??
As far as marital property, we have no children together, we do not own a home. Also i am the sole owner on my car that i acquired before the marriage. As for his car, he also acquired it before the marriage, but i cosigned for him. Am i gonna be responsible for this car too, or since it was not acquired during the marriage should it just be his to pay. Also we have a couple of credit cards in my name alone but they are debts that occur during the marriage. Will it be fair and safe to say he will be responsible for half of those? I am so confused and now he is not even contacting me or seeing me, as he said his lawyer told him not to, but she told me today that she did not say that. Also, he moved out of the apartment, and has not helped with the upkeep on it. Any suggestions on how to make this easier on myself. I have bad health and this is making my condition worse. What should i do to make it easier? Thanks for your time!:confused:

BelizeBreeze

amyray50 said:

Hello everyone, i am a newbie here and need some advice on what to do. OK here is my situation. My husband and i have only been married a very short time (9 months) and we are getting divorced. He said he does not want the divorce and does not want to be the one to file. However he is the one who got an attorney, and she said she is representing him only. She has set up a meeting with the 3 of us to meet to come to an agreement. Should i meet with her even if i am unrepresented? Since my husband has a lawyer will i get the short end of the stick??
You should tell his attorney that you will have your attorney get back with her as soon as you have the opportunity to find one. Otherwise, you would appreciate she not communicate with you until such time as you can have your attorney communicate with her.

Then find your attorney and give him/her the contact information for his .

As far as marital property, we have no children together, we do not own a home. Also i am the sole owner on my car that i acquired before the marriage. As for his car, he also acquired it before the marriage, but i cosigned for him.
and what if he doesn't pay the note?
Am i gonna be responsible for this car too, or since it was not acquired during the marriage should it just be his to pay.
yes, it SHOULD be his to pay, but you want to bet your credit rating on him paying?
Also we have a couple of credit cards in my name alone but they are debts that occur during the marriage. Will it be fair and safe to say he will be responsible for half of those?
Yep, but try telling him that.
I am so confused and now he is not even contacting me or seeing me, as he said his lawyer told him not to, but she told me today that she did not say that.
Well, you want the divorce and you expect him to be all lovey dovey? It's called hurt feelings.
Also, he moved out of the apartment, and has not helped with the upkeep on it.
Why should he?
Any suggestions on how to make this easier on myself. I have bad health and this is making my condition worse.
so what? That is irrelevant to the legal situation here.
What should i do to make it easier?
Have a jack and coke and let your attorney handle it.
Thanks for your time!:confused:
you're welcome.

Silverplum

amyray50 said:

Why shouldn't he get an attorney? He's being divorced. You can meet with them unrepresented, but it would be entirely unwise to sign anything.

amyray50 said:
I am so confused and now he is not even contacting me or seeing me, as he said his lawyer told him not to, but she told me today that she did not say that.
Why would you want to talk with him? You're divorcing him. Why would he want to talk with you? You're divorcing him.

amyray50 said:
Also, he moved out of the apartment, and has not helped with the upkeep on it. Any suggestions on how to make this easier on myself. I have bad health and this is making my condition worse. What should i do to make it easier? Thanks for your time!:confused:
Why should he?? You want him out. He's out.

Bali Hai

amyray50 said:

As far as marital property, we have no children together, we do not own a home. Also i am the sole owner on my car that i acquired before the marriage. As for his car, he also acquired it before the marriage, but i cosigned for him. Am i gonna be responsible for this car too, or since it was not acquired during the marriage should it just be his to pay. Also we have a couple of credit cards in my name alone but they are debts that occur during the marriage. Will it be fair and safe to say he will be responsible for half of those? I am so confused and now he is not even contacting me or seeing me, as he said his lawyer told him not to, but she told me today that she did not say that. Also, he moved out of the apartment, and has not helped with the upkeep on it. Any suggestions on how to make this easier on myself. I have bad health and this is making my condition worse. What should i do to make it easier? Thanks for your time!:confused:
Get your own lawyer.

amyray50

help

thanks for the replies. i feel some of them were harsh but i guess to the point.. My new question is this..

if i just lay low for a while and we stay married, but living apart, will he still be responsible for half the bills while we are still married?? please reply...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
amyray50 said:
thanks for the replies. i feel some of them were harsh but i guess to the point.. My new question is this..

if i just lay low for a while and we stay married, but living apart, will he still be responsible for half the bills while we are still married?? please reply...
Yes, no and maybe. He would be responsible for paying the bills with his name on it, you the ones with your name on it. If there is no court order there is nothing forcing him to do that. whatever bills have your name on it you need to pay so your credit doesn't get destroyed. There is no free ride here. If you want him to be forced to pay the bills then you need to file papers and get a court order stating that he is to pay the bills. Without the order, you may want him to pay them but he doesn't have to.

amyray50

did not know that..

WOW thanks for your reply.. I guess i need to find a lawyer and fast. Anyone know how i can find an affordable lawyer in Kentucky?? thanks so much i really appreciate your time,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">