• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change locks-legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CTTeach

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My husband of 11.5 years walked out, saying he doesn't want to be married anymore. He is living with a relative about 30 min away. He has a large autograph collection, never evaluated, but estimated roughly to be in the high 5 digits or even 6 digits amount**************..I am leaving for a 2 week vacation in less than a month. He didn't want to rush to make any big decisions about divorce, but it is clearly going to happen. We own everything jointly--house, stocks, checking acct, vacation home - even his BMW! Should I change the locks on the house so that he cannot clean out the autograph collection while I'm away? Is that even a legal thing to do since his name is also on the house? Friends are advising me to change the locks before I leave, but I don't think I can.

Thanks - CTTeachWhat is the name of your state?

xylene

Headed for divorce and...

You have significant joint assets...

You husband is living away from home with a realtive ( and possibly with a new lover)...

And you have that "...." gut feeling about difficult to trace assets

Consult a lawyer.

Maybe put the autographs in a safe... but you say these autographs are his...

CTTeach

Yes

Yes, autographs are his, from his hobby while we were married. They were acquired throughout our marriage. I cannot put them in safe as they take up an entire 10 by 20 sized room full of boxes and memorabilia! That's my dilemma**************..I'm concerned he'll take them all while I'm away and I'll never be able to prove he had them since they are not anywhere in writing! I have started taking some pictures, but frankly don't know half of what I'm looking at. Some are of little or no value, but some are very worthwhile! I sure wish I'd listened while he talked about them! But wouldn't these be given a value upon our divorce?

BelizeBreeze

And what will happen if he breaks open the new locks and then has them repaired and changed while you are away?

Nothing. You both have the right to the marital home until such time as a court says otherwise.

CTTeach

vacation on hold?

No - I'm not putting the vacation on hold! This is a big Hawaiian cruise that we paid for our entire family to go on! I am definitely going! I really need it, after moping around for the past month.

I will not change the locks - I thought that wasn't the right thing to do**************...thanks for letting me know for sure!

ceara19

CTTeach said:
No - I'm not putting the vacation on hold! This is a big Hawaiian cruise that we paid for our entire family to go on! I am definitely going! I really need it, after moping around for the past month.

I will not change the locks - I thought that wasn't the right thing to do**************...thanks for letting me know for sure!
Then you will be risking coming back to an empty house.

freelady1

Suggestions

First, if the house is in both your names you cannot change the locks. You could have legal troubles.
Second, you should take pictures of everything that is of value before you leave. This way, when he takes the things while you are away, you will have proof for the courts. Better yet, can you get an appraiser to give you a written estimate of their value?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
freelady1 said:
First, if the house is in both your names you cannot change the locks. You could have legal troubles.
That is exactly wrong. She has EVERY right to change the locks, and he has EVERY right to break the locks.

Second, you should take pictures of everything that is of value before you leave. This way, when he takes the things while you are away, you will have proof for the courts. Better yet, can you get an appraiser to give you a written estimate of their value?
That part is right on the money though....

CTTeach

Photos

I am slowly taking photos - it's hard since the entire room is full of unmarked boxes, and I don't know what I'm looking at. There are literally thousands of autographed items up there**************...But I will do my best! Thanks for the advice!

ceara19

CTTeach said:
I am slowly taking photos - it's hard since the entire room is full of unmarked boxes, and I don't know what I'm looking at. There are literally thousands of autographed items up there**************...But I will do my best! Thanks for the advice!
Even if you document every item in the house, he still has the right to do whatever he pleases with his property until a judge orders otherwise. You would be better off putting any traveling plans on hold until AFTER you file for divorce or legal separation and you have and order in hand barring him from removing and/or selling any marital property. You may want to call an attorney ASAP and see if it is even POSSIBLE to get any kind of court order before your scheduled vacation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">