• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bigamy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Julie4060

What is the name of your state? MO

I suspect that my husband, who took off three years ago, has gotten married. I only recently found him, to serve divorce papers and it was at this time that it was discovered there is possibly a new wife and child. How will this have an affect on my divorce?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Bigamy is a crime and also grounds for divorce in pretty much every state. You still need to divorce him if he hasnt' received a divorce from you -- which is highly unlikely.

ceara19

Ohiogal said:
Bigamy is a crime and also grounds for divorce in pretty much every state. You still need to divorce him if he hasnt' received a divorce from you -- which is highly unlikely.
If there were no children from the OP's marriage, it wouldn't be very unusual for the husband to have gotten a no-fault divorce. Granted, he would have most likely had to lie to the court about not being able to locate the OP, giving her grounds to have the divorce nullified. As long as there is no asset or debt dispute, there would be no reason not to let an existing divorce stand, if there is one.

The OP should still proceed with her divorce plans, filing either no-fault or abandonment, until/unless she finds proof that he entered into a "legal" marriage with someone else.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ceara19 said:
If there were no children from the OP's marriage, it wouldn't be very unusual for the husband to have gotten a no-fault divorce. Granted, he would have most likely had to lie to the court about not being able to locate the OP, giving her grounds to have the divorce nullified. As long as there is no asset or debt dispute, there would be no reason not to let an existing divorce stand, if there is one.

The OP should still proceed with her divorce plans, filing either no-fault or abandonment, until/unless she finds proof that he entered into a "legal" marriage with someone else.
Agreed. But that is why I said it would be highly unlikely. I do agree with everything you have said.

BelizeBreeze

The best deterent to Bigamy is to NOT allow the idiot to get a divorce from either wife. Being married to ONE is reason enough to see a psychiatrist...let alone two...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">