• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imtiaz khan

What is the name of your state? Florida .

I am divorced and paying alimony , i did not have the brightest tack in the box representing me . So anyway i know i'm up the creek as far as getting alimony modified .The problem is it is putting me closer to the poor house , i have no problem paying after 23 yrs . i would rather not go in the poor house doing it . Any suggestions ?What is the name of your state?

Gracie3787

imtiaz khan said:

I am divorced and paying alimony , i did not have the brightest tack in the box representing me . So anyway i know i'm up the creek as far as getting alimony modified .The problem is it is putting me closer to the poor house , i have no problem paying after 23 yrs . i would rather not go in the poor house doing it . Any suggestions ?What is the name of your state?
What is the reason that paying the ordered amount is now too high? Did you involuntarily lose income? Illness, accident, layoff, etc?

Read your divorce decree, is there a staement in there that the alimony is non modifiable? If there is, unfortunately you'll have to be literally on your death bed to get a reduction. However, alimony is modifiable in Fl if you can prove to the court that your inability to pay the ordered amount is truly involuntary.

You can get a low cost consult by calling the referral service at 1-800-342-8011.

Bali Hai

imtiaz khan said:

That has nothing to do with paying alimony. The judge who was politically elected by a bunch of idiots did that to you.

You are worried about going to the poor house after 23 years of paying alimony without doing anything about it until now??

You have bigger problems than that my friend!

imtiaz khan

Gracie3787 said:
What is the reason that paying the ordered amount is now too high? Did you involuntarily lose income? Illness, accident, layoff, etc?

Read your divorce decree, is there a staement in there that the alimony is non modifiable? If there is, unfortunately you'll have to be literally on your death bed to get a reduction. However, alimony is modifiable in Fl if you can prove to the court that your inability to pay the ordered amount is truly involuntary.

You can get a low cost consult by calling the referral service at 1-800-342-8011.
When i agreed to settlement , the stress was unbearable that i had to end it . Needless to say my female attorney was no help . No i did not loose my job or anything like that .Bottom line i made 2 hugh mistakes - ex wife and female attorney .

imtiaz khan

Bali Hai said:
That has nothing to do with paying alimony. The judge who was politically elected by a bunch of idiots did that to you.

You are worried about going to the poor house after 23 years of paying alimony without doing anything about it until now??

You have bigger problems than that my friend!
No i was married for 23 years , i'm paying for one year , and a lifetime to go .

Bali Hai

imtiaz khan said:
When i agreed to settlement , the stress was unbearable that i had to end it . Needless to say my female attorney was no help . No i did not loose my job or anything like that .Bottom line i made 2 hugh mistakes - ex wife and female attorney .
One more huge mistake you made:

NEVER agree to pay alimony.

Force the court to order alimony.

YOU signed your life away and that's nobody's fault but yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">