• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Golf Cart Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GIII

What is the name of your state? Ohio.

Recently I was in a golf cart accident where the golf cart swiped a tree. The accident damaged the golf cart and the course's insurance company is seeking subrogation for repair cost. Other courses in Ohio require a signature acknowledging the drivers responsibility for any damage to the golf cart during the round. This was the first time at this particular golf course and I didn't sign any such waiver. Also, this was a special outing and green fees were paid to a third party. The reason for the side swipe was due to a tree close to a curved cart path and the cart path had a raised edge. When the golf cart which was also one of the fastest golf carts I've driven went off the cart path the tire rubbed against the cart path and it was hard to correct. Almost missing the tree, the golf cart sustained brake pedal damage, jumped on it when I knew that I couldn't miss the tree, and left side swipe damage.

Basically, my question is am I liable for the damages?

Thanks for any info..

ecmst12

I doubt auto insurance would cover this but is it possible homeowners/renters insurance would? Also a long shot...

moburkes

ecmst12 said:
I doubt auto insurance would cover this but is it possible homeowners/renters insurance would? Also a long shot...
Not a long shot at all. It should be covered. Now, is it worth it to file the claim?

GIII

Roughly a $1000.00 for the repairs. What happened was when I turned to miss the tree the cart tire hit and took the force. The other poster was patronizing with the “I didn’t know they went that fast” comment, but this one had some pretty decent initial acceleration and then would regulate back. I had made comments early on about snapping my partner around when I started up. I honestly had to get use to starting the cart without snapping or necks back and forth. I believe this was what carried me off the path in the first place. Nonetheless, apparently the front assembly isn't reinforced enough and bent--all one piece as I understand it connected to a gear. A good bulk of the cost is labor. Didn't want to file a claim for homeowners in fear of being rated or dropped. So I was just going to pay the repairs. The bottom line is that I told the head pro what happened verbatim and they didn’t care. Rightfully so I’m sure, but again I had no rental agreement for the cart and the cart path held the tire from a quicker recovery back to the cart path and the tree was close.. Probably should have been cut down.. At any rate, if I’m bottom line responsible I’ll pay the repairs, but what bothers me is why I didn’t have the opportunity to get the best price for the repairs. And in addition, every other course forces a rental agreement, maybe they do too, and one was not provided to me when I got the cart. Am I responsible regardless of the rental agreement? Is the usage implied responsibility? Why do the other courses force the agreement?

Thanks for the responses..

efflandt

I think you are turned around. Unless you signed for and paid for a collision damage waiver, I would think that "you break it, you fix it" would be the norm. Why should they be responsible for your irresponsibility? If you drove your car off the road or into a tree, would you blame the curb or lack of a governor to control your speed?

ecmst12

I wouldn't worry about getting dropped from your homeowner's insurance for filing ONE claim for only $1000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">