• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Final, Do I Have A Civil Case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimberlee_06

What is the name of your state? TN

I hope I am posting this under the right topic. I recently divorced (March) and I have found out some things since the divorce. I am now close to $10,000 in debt thanks to me ex. Not only did he make online purchases using my credit cards and debit card but he also did alot of phone in purchasing as well. He was not on any of my cc's nor my bank acct. nor was he authorized to use any of the above. He memorized my numbers and used them while we were still legally married. We were seperated at the time and he did move out of state but the damage was still done. I am working on paying off these debts as best I can but I fear I will be sued if I don't get them paid off sooner. Some of them are working with me and are understanding but some of them are demanding full payments asap. I am doing all I can and paying these debts that aren't even mine. I was told at my bank that I could pursue civil action against him but not sure if that is true. All I want is for the bills to be paid. My credit is ruined regardless now and I had good credit too. My bank did cover all of the debits when they came in if I didn't have all the funds but they in turn charged me service charges etc. So some of the online purchases have been paid thanks to the bank but I still owe them money along with everything else. Do I have a civil case against him to get my money back? A couple of the companies record the phone conversations and I guess those could be used if needed? I mean who in there right mind would take a phone order from a man using a females credit card and not check for authorization? If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Kim

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why didn't you report this as a crime and dispute the charges since you were on the card alone, he was not an authorized user and you and he were separated?

AHA

kimberlee_06 said:
I mean who in there right mind would take a phone order from a man using a females credit card and not check for authorization?Kim
In most countries you can't, but US is it's own world, apparently.

If you have a name that could be of both genders, like Kim, the name alone would not raise a red flag. Hell, my hubby's name is considered a female name for most people (he's a southern boy and down there they apparently give boys girl names and vice versa, yet another reason why I would never agree to live there btw :D) .

kimberlee_06

Ohiogal said:
Why didn't you report this as a crime and dispute the charges since you were on the card alone, he was not an authorized user and you and he were separated?
I did report it as a crime but was told "since he lives out of state there isn't much we can do". I did dispute all the charges as soon as I found out about them. Yes, we were seperated when all this happened, divorce papers had been filed but were not finalized and no he was never authorized on any of my cards. He had his own and apparently liked mine better. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">