• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overweight discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

judith

What is the name of your state? South Carolina My husband works at a local grocery chain and has for the past 6+ years. He has yet to get a raise in the last 2 years or any kind of promotion what so ever. He has work in retail for 13 years so it is not lack of experience or knowledge. Me personally i think it is because he is over weight. I have read that there is not anything under the discrimination law for overweight individuals. The question is, is there ANYTHING that can be done about discrimination of the overweight in the workplace? If they can cover religion, race, and sexual orientation then why can't the overweight be protected as well?

Beth3

Only the State of Michigan includes obesity as a protected characteristic.

I have no idea why your husband hasn't received a raise in the past several years but the chances that his size is the issue are slim to none. You're jumping to major conclusions. If your husband's manager hasn't discussed your husband's compensation with him in the past several years and explained why he hasn't received a pay increase, then your husband needs to schedule time with his boss to talk about this.

judith

BelizeBreeze said:
Yes, chain and lock the fridge.
:mad: This is serious!!!! I figured coming to a page like this we could get some real advice. But it must be true there is a lot of ass holes in the world!!!!!!

xylene

Beth3 gave you a fine answer.

I will also add:

The grocery industry is not a booming business. It it possible you husbands chain is performing poorly. 2 years is not an unheard of amount of time between raises in ANY industry.

Your husband has worked the same job for 6 years. It is possible he has just reached the top of the food chain ( ;) Sorry) and is not likely to receive many more raises in that position without changing departments or advancing to a hire level position (manager, department chief...) This many involve cultivating new skills outside of work.

judith

Beth3 said:

I have no idea why your husband hasn't received a raise in the past several years but the chances that his size is the issue are slim to none. You're jumping to major conclusions. If your husband's manager hasn't discussed your husband's compensation with him in the past several years and explained why he hasn't received a pay increase, then your husband needs to schedule time with his boss to talk about this.[/QUOte/]
Like I said before he has been at this for 13 years. Well his boss hires a 21 year old to be his boss instead of giving hm a promotion. What is so bad is that the 21 yo has only been in the business for a year or two! If overweight discrimination is the case what should we do?

mlane58

judith said:
If overweight discrimination is the case what should we do?
Nothing, since Beth3 already stated that only the State of Michigan includes obesity as a protected characteristic and South Carolina does not. Also as Beth3 stated have your husband speak to the manager as to why he hasn't recieved a raise.

fairisfair

Beth3 said:

I have no idea why your husband hasn't received a raise in the past several years but the chances that his size is the issue are slim to none. You're jumping to major conclusions. If your husband's manager hasn't discussed your husband's compensation with him in the past several years and explained why he hasn't received a pay increase, then your husband needs to schedule time with his boss to talk about this.
slim to none? :eek: ;) :D

fairisfair

judith said:
:mad: This is serious!!!! I figured coming to a page like this we could get some real advice. But it must be true there is a lot of ass holes in the world!!!!!!
careful. surely you expected something along that line somewhere. So making a comment about someones weight is not okay, but calling them an a$$hole is? No one here will tolerate you being rude to BB, so back off.

fairisfair

Are other employees receiving increases in pay? Perhaps wages are frozen at his company? Does your husband receive annual reviews? what has been the outcome? Has he applied for any other positions, or are you just expecting them to come to him with promotions? I am in no way insinuating you have a case based on his weight, but you might want to consider these things prior to him approaching his supervisor regarding his lack of increases in pay.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Judith, here is the bottom line.

Even if you are 100% correct about the reason for your husband's failure to receive a raise or a promotion, in every state except Michigan (and the District of Columbia, which protected personal appearance which can include, but is not limited to, weight), it is 100% legal.

You have by no means convinced me that you are right, but even if you are, the ONLY thing either you or your husband can do about it is lobby your elected representatives for a change in the law to make weight a protected characteristic. As the law stands now, discrimination on the basis of weight is LEGAL.

judith

????

fairisfair said:
careful. surely you expected something along that line somewhere. So making a comment about someones weight is not okay, but calling them an a$$hole is? No one here will tolerate you being rude to BB, so back off.
I Just come to this site to get reasonable legal advice, not to have some one else picking fun at my husband. It is an in depth situation. Yes I should have made myself a little more clear, but I don't want the wrong person reading this. I'm sorry for calling bb that , but he should also take other peoples feelings in consideration before he starts to comment. It doesn't feel that great.

BelizeBreeze

judith said:
I Just come to this site to get reasonable legal advice, not to have some one else picking fun at my husband. It is an in depth situation. Yes I should have made myself a little more clear, but I don't want the wrong person reading this. I'm sorry for calling bb that , but he should also take other peoples feelings in consideration before he starts to comment. It doesn't feel that great.
I AM an A$$HOLE. I take pride in being an A$$HOLE. I will go to my death being an A$$HOLE. But that still does not change the fact that the advice I gave, based on what you proffered as the excuse why your husband is not getting raises, was legally correct. :D

fairisfair

BelizeBreeze said:
I AM an A$$HOLE. I take pride in being an A$$HOLE. I will go to my death being an A$$HOLE. But that still does not change the fact that the advice I gave, based on what you proffered as the excuse why your husband is not getting raises, was legally correct. :D
Maybe, but you are OUR a$$hole. ;)

ecmst12

Still not as bad as IAAL. Did they manage to actually boot him off the board for real this time? I haven't seen him in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">