• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contarctor threatens to place a lian on my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drahnreb

contractor threatens to place a lien on my home

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

We have finally completed an extensive kitchen and family room rennovation that took three times as long as the contract says. Our contracts includes a $100 /deay deductable for overtime. There were several minor changes to the job which we requested, assuming they were a wash with respect to expenses. In addition several parts of the project had to be repeated because they were not done as stated in the contract and the contractor had agreed to the changes without extra charge. Our contract states explicitly that any changes will only be executed on written order - no such written orders exist. After I paid all the installements of our contract (totalling $50K) the contractor sent us an invoice for an additional $14K, including multiple accounting errors and charges for jobs he didn't do. I have responded to the invoice with an itemized correction of the invoice that includes a deduction of $2000 for 20 days (out of 60 days) and have paid for $6000 of the $14000 he requested. He now threatens to put a lien on our house. How can I keep him from doing so? and if he succeeds, how can I remove the lien?

Last edited:

pojo2

How can I keep him from doing so? and if he succeeds, how can I remove the lien?

You may not be able to keep him from doing this, consult an Atty, and you get it removed by paying the bill or by proving it is bogus in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">