• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can one copyright military photographs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Victor2000

Are military photographs subject to copyright claims? Aren't aerial military photographs taken duing WW2 Public Domain if the War Dept. sends copies to whoever asks for them?
How can I determine if copyright claims to photographs are legitmate? It seems anyone can get a copyright to them if they send in their fees. Shouldn't those claims be classified as bogus?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

As to old photographs? You need to go through the U.S. Copyright office for two reasons:

1. Read about you copyright photographs and derivative works using those old photos
2. If indeed certain photos you are concerned about are/aren't in the public domain yet, etc.

http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">