• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of Father in Tow Truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NickinCincy

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello...I am just searching for some preliminary information. My Father was a passenger in a Tow Truck that was hit by a train at the end of last year. The towing comany driver (who was a neighbor of Dad's) failed to see an oncoming train when crossing some tracks in a rural area. I am one of 4 surviving adult children, Mom and Dad were divorced, Mother is surviving. We are being contacted preliminarily by the insurance company of the towing company, asking us to submit to them a figure of what "our dad's life was worth to us". Of course this is almost impossible. Although Dad was older (64) he was extrememly healthy and made about $50,000 a year. Truly, the most significant issue for us kids is that we miss our Dad incredibally...since our Mom ditched us years ago (have no good idea where she is at) Dad was the heart and soul of our family, and very involved in our lives.

I know that money won't bring him back, and that you cannot give us firm answers, but can you advise us as to a range, if you will, of what to ask for and what to expect, if any, as far as settlement is concerned? So many people are giving us "advice" but we want to get what is just and fair, but know that the insurance adjustor is out to protect his bottom line. We are considering hiring an attorney, but again, many people are saying that this might be able to be negotiated without one. Even if we do hire an attorney, what are your expectations and thoughts regarding how much we should originally ask for in terms of liability, and how much do you think is probable/possible?

Any help would be appreciated.What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Hire an attorney. And I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I can't even imagine it. Good luck.

fairisfair

moburkes said:
Hire an attorney. And I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I can't even imagine it. Good luck.
and be sure it is one that SPECIALIZES in these types of cases.

Betty

I'm sorry about your Dad. Do as moburkes & fairisfair suggested & get yourself a lawyer - usually a personal injury lawyer would be the type that would specialize in these cases. There is too much to consider that is beyond the scope of your knowledge & experience. A good PI lawyer can get you more than you could on your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">